Watch Toyota's robot basketball player hit three-pointers

MY MAGNETIC BASKETBALL GOES THROUGH THE SUPERCONDUCTING TORUS EVERY TIME

4 Likes

I sped it up to 2x and it still took too damn long

4 Likes

I can’t read that without hearing it sung to the tune of Milkshake.

3 Likes

What disturbs me is that it is wearing pants. What is it covering up?!

And – metaphorically speaking – Trump’s brain is still warming the bench… in the youth league.

(The video almost makes me weep from the nostalgia.)

1 Like

If you play the “Oh what a feeling” riff, it tries to make a jump shot.

Does this mean Ripley is a Replicant?

3 Likes

Examiner: You Flip A Tortoise Over On Its back. Its Belly Is Baking And It Needs Your Help To Flip Over, But You’re Not Helping. Why Is That?
Ripley: I’m trying to decide if I can stab it through the belly without bending my knife.

5 Likes
CROWD RESPONSE INITIATED.

3 Likes

I’m really glad it didn’t pump fake and waste another 45 seconds of my time.

1 Like

Agreed, but still a lot going on there.

But, note the terrible job (as compared to humans) these good boits do; even a 4 year old could carry the ball to the shooter with virtually no training. My dog could do it with a bit of training.

And we’re gonna have self-driving cars any time soon?

Amusing robot-related anecdote: back in college some 20… 30… 35ish years ago, my group tried to get an industrial robot (an American, I think) to catch a ball. Vision system watches ball with 2 cameras, calculates when to place “glove” (small round net for our testing), sends info to robot which dos the needful.

It worked, in a sense, and we got an excellent grade. But it was far too slow. Toss ball, ball hits floor, count to 2, sometimes 3, and robot would put the glove in a very likely good position. Probably easy to do now.

2 Likes

But are they pumped up kicks, (thanks Nike!), and how fast can it run?

1 Like

Ripley 8 is a Ripleycant. The first 7 Ripleycations didn’t turn out too well.

2 Likes

Sabotaged or destroyed?

That means Ripley 8 is the last of the Ripleycants.

Watch out for Shadows.

2 Likes

tenor%20(1)

Things dont improve much in the future.

7 Likes

So… if he would have missed, they would have hung him from the neck ??? ?!
Wait till the Android Civil Liberties Union hears about this!
Screenshot_2019-04-09_14-51-56

I don’t think you’re reading too much into things. The shape of the head is also suggestive of a hairstyle, one that not everyone’s hair really supports. I think it’s abundantly clear the robot is intended to suggest a black person.

The most serious, high-profile basketball in the world happens in the NBA and WNBA, and most of those players really are black; would making this robot look distinctly-human-but-not-black be better? Wouldn’t a robot with no racial cues at all read as “white” or “Japanese” to white people or Japanese people who saw it?

Maybe the reason it seems a little unsettling isn’t so much that the robot is black, it’s that of course the only black “person” in the room is an object that performs entertaining tricks on demand.

One could perhaps paint this design choice as enlightened and inclusive (I’m not trying to do that), but it’s true that the stories we hear about Japanese culture and Japanese racism don’t make me hopeful. Maybe this particular bizarre situation - Japanese engineers building a robot that “plays” a sport dominated by black Americans - is culturally and racially tricky. If I were in charge, I think I’d make a hash of it.

3 Likes

The robots will take over the world. It is inevitable.

Almost exciting as real basketball. Because you know the sport is … wait… time out! Let’s have a word from our sponsors.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.