Watch Toyota's robot basketball player hit three-pointers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/08/watch-toyotas-robot-basketba.html

4 Likes

What do we do when Toyota has all the points and there are no points left for us?

6 Likes
7 Likes

But can he do it with his back turned:

10 Likes

That proves it! He’s a robot! Call Alex Jones!

7 Likes

Adam and Jamie could build a better machine to do that in an afternoon.

4 Likes

Fun fact, Sigourney Weaver actually made that shot for real between takes so they used it for the final scene.

10 Likes

Now I know I’m going to be told I’m reading too much into things, and maybe that’s true. But I can’t help noticing that this robot, out of all the Toyota robots I’ve ever seen, is the only one they didn’t paint white.

24 Likes

I found this to be a weird design choice to say the least…

Apart from that, what’s with this whole set-up of a human-controlled robot handing the ball to a delivery bot, which then drives around in slow motion …!?

13 Likes

It did have me jumping up in my seat yelling, “PASS THE BALL! PASS THE BALL!”

15 Likes

Gods, I just want to run over to the little white robot and rip the ball away from it and give it to three point shooting one!

3 Likes

But can it still make three-pointers through robotic trash talk and hydraulic elbows?

6 Likes

Two minutes of video for five seconds of content, all to see a gadget that is about as impressive as a pitching machine.

17 Likes

yeah I noticed this as well. Toyota’s first black robot (that I’ve seen) is the one that plays basketball…

5 Likes

Basketball throwing robots have been around since the early 90’s at the latest. I’d be more impressed if it could catch the ball.

6 Likes

I could do so well if I had that much electronics hooked-up to me.

1 Like

I don’t know much about robots, but I think it’s kinda cool and it would be interesting to see their robot combined with the untethered movement and gross motor control of a Boston Dynamics robot.

2 Likes

Exactly. And only one shot shown. Does it do it from that position every time? Move it around let’s see it do it every time, then. Not saying it cannot but this was not a very impressive video, TBH.

2 Likes

Also, I don’t think it even called bank.

5 Likes

ok, first of all, TRAVELING, little robot. second, why don’t these guys maybe put their efforts into something useful, like airbags that don’t explode? and third, as mentioned above, the black robot thing. too much WTF for one post.

9 Likes