Watch trailer For Steven Spielberg’s film adaptation of West Side Story

Originally published at: Watch trailer For Steven Spielberg's film adaptation of West Side Story | Boing Boing

1 Like

60 years, not 50. I should know, 'cause that was the year I was born.

8 Likes

Before I played the trailer I thought to myself, “I bet Rita Moreno is in it.” She is, and she is also credited as an executive producer.

I’m very much looking forward to this.

11 Likes

He does seem to have the knack for it.

3 Likes

The dance hall brawl scene in 1941 was also carefully choreographed by Spielberg.

The trailer also shows that the production design will match the same historically accurate excellence of his other films.

4 Likes

Think Rita Moreno can get a second best supporting actress* oscar for this? :smiley:

*That’s two best supporting actress oscars, not the oscar for second best supporting actress

8 Likes

Thinking about how bitter Michael Bay must be about not getting this gig warms my heart.

11 Likes

OK, sounds decent but Hollywood and Disney have lost all my trust when it comes to either remakes or musicals.

Obviously this is not going to be another Cats or Lion King remake, they even seem to have discovered the trick of getting some actual good singers and I do trust Spielberg with a camera but still…

3 Likes

Ok, that was very, very smart as trailers go, to basically withhold all the songs whilst making it very easy to recognise which clips went where if you know the show at all - and some clearly deliberate call-backs to the original film.
I’m still not sure it was necessary, because the original stands up just fine, but now I think I’m looking forward to it.

5 Likes

i don’t care what anyone says, i’m so very looking forward to this. the music is part of my DNA at this point. my question is, will the Sharks and the Jets SING??

1 Like

Michael Bay would have just been looking for ways to work the “Jets vs. Sharks” angle to shoehorn in more big dumb action sequences.

15 Likes

The Michael Bay and West Side Story part starts at about 4:15, but you should probably watch the whole video because it’s good.

However, you will never be able to unsee the Micheal Bay/West Side Story connection once you see it.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Just as long as the shark looks real this time.

3 Likes

I’m just hoping it won’t fall into the same controversy as In the Heights.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Who’s officer cupcake?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.