Watch: uncensored clip of Will Smith hitting Chris Rock in the face at the Academy Awards

It seems as if you are addressing me as an opponent, rather than as one who agrees with you, and who has apologized to you.

I have no desire to fight with anyone. Especially here.

3 Likes

I think racism (rooted in unexamined bias that seeks to hold Black men to a higher standard) might be at play to a certain degree. It’s a slap… Smith didn’t shoot the guy, or even punch him.

That too. I think we can say it’s wrong, and not elevate it to the worst act of violence every seen on American TV! We ALL know that’s not the case.

It could be argued that BOTH are showcasing toxic masculinity in different ways…

vs. Chris Rock making shitty, ablest jokes? Yeah… sure. Whatever. I’m with @emo_pinata that the joke itself was most certainly also a display of toxic masculinity, maybe more so than the slap.

I was agreeing with your agreement… That’s why I said OK… :woman_shrugging:

15 Likes

18 Likes

The really sad thing is the oscars and the academy are still so racist that there are already complaints being filed, and Will Smith will likely lose his oscar for this and be banned from future shows, whereas Chris Rock? He didn’t violate the code of conduct so he’s going to be in the clear.

Seriously, this year’s Hollywood circle jerk sure did elicit some insightful discussion…

1 Like

Puppy Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Citation needed.

12 Likes

If that was directed at me, I didn’t say Smith was the only one exhibiting it. Just that he made his own situation worse by using it as a tool when he had better options immediately at hand (so to speak)

3 Likes

People are pointing out that Roman Polanski and Harvey Weinstein still have their precious statues so…

Polanski got a standing ovation in 2003 and he wasn’t even there because, you know, rape conviction…

Hollywood is effed up.

3 Likes

I know it’s the New York Post, but the Academy already acted on code of conduct violations regarding Weinstein and revoked his Oscar for 1999’s Shakespere in Love. They expelled Cosby, and have expelled numerous people for selling their oscar seats and other things like this situation. It requires members of the academy to file written complaints alledging the violation, and so far it sounds like numerous have already filed said complaints against Will Smith for his “atrocious violent display.” Remember, the Academy still has a “very white, very racist” leaning. I don’t find it impossible to believe that they already have written complaints in.

3 Likes

There’s rumblings that Smith violated some nebulous “code of conduct”. I am highly doubtful that he’d retroactively lose his well-deserved Academy Award over this. But then again who knows - it’s not like they haven’t done plenty of questionable things in the past.

4 Likes

Parks And Recreation Gasp GIF by NBC

6 Likes

So he was asking for it? I thought we don’t use this excuse anymore?

2 Likes

This.

In all the press and chatter about these two manly mens having their spat, nobody mentions that Jada was humiliated twice in the space of 10 fucking seconds.

18 Likes

Honest question, how much input did Rock have into the writing and phrasing of the joke?

Of course it’s still on him to say “no, I’m not saying that line” even if he had little to do with the writing.

He’s a high profile stand up comedian, so I’m guessing quite a bit. I’m guessing that people who have experience writing comedy get to script their own bit, for the most part.

But once again and either way, it’s not the first time he’s mocked her. And if there has been back and forth between the two prior to this, and he STILL decided that mocking her medical condition was just fine, then I can totally understand Smith’s reaction

13 Likes

Kathy already made the joke, but it deserves a reprise:

14 Likes

No.

I’m saying you can’t keep microaggressing people and then be surprised when a reaction occurs. I never said he deserved it or was “asking for it” or anything like that. Please don’t inject false assumptions into my statements and then attack those false assumptions.

Will Smith was wrong. Chris Rock was wrong. And nobody should be surprised that this happened after the years of behavior.

6 Likes

“ Please wait 15 minutes between posts in this topic“

I like to think that this is a global timer for everyone and the first to click post at 15m mark gets in.

I have read more than I need to about this incident but I have not seen anything about whether Chris Rock has apologized for the joke to Jada.

2 Likes

Yep, this morning on the way to school I mentioned to the 7th grader what “kayfabe” is.

I mostly missed the actual slap (got up to fetch something or other) then noticed the glitching afterward (no audio; about 2 seconds of video got repeated) and figured they’d switched to a delayed feed.

Aside from the slap, the 7th grader asked why the hosts were doing such seemingly random bits? I offered it was to fill up the space they would’ve used covering really trivial awards* such as editing and sound. (Except then they ran over their time, anyway.)

*</s>

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that Smith’s appearance was voluntary. I think Will Smith was fully justified in what he did.