Watch: what it’s like to take a sleeper train in Japan

Out of curiosity, how smooth is a ride on a bullet train?

I ride the trolley train in San Diego, but there’s a lot of shimmy. I wonder if it’s just as prevalent on bullet trains?

2 Likes

Very smooth ride. Like you are floating on the tracks. You barely feel the movement of the train. Plus it takes only 3 hours what would take an 8 hour bus ride.

Although Tokyo/Osaka is only a 45 minute plane ride, the airports are pretty far outside of the city centers. The only time I do that flight is if it connects with a NY to Tokyo one.

2 Likes

I find nothing as relaxing as a long train journey in a comfortable sleeping compartment.

No worries or responsibilities and endlessly changing views out the window.

The wonders of the full moon on a snow covered forest at midnight as your trais snakes among the trees or watching the constantly changing light across Puget Sound at twilight.

3 Likes

There used to be a lot of sleeper trains in Japan, but sadly, they have been on the decline in recent years. With the exception of ultra-luxury trains, the one between Izumo and Tokyo is the last one left. Up until 2016, they had a train called Cassiopeia that ran between Tokyo and Sapporo. It was my dream to one day ride on it, but then I found out that they were stopping service in 2016, so I never got a chance…

It was really super nice, as you can see from this site which is for some reason still up.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.