Inside a sleep pod in a Japanese railway station

Originally published at: Inside a sleep pod in a Japanese railway station | Boing Boing

2 Likes

This is exactly what I would need right now.

4 Likes

Are those sleep pods? Because they clearly say, in English, “station work”. They look more like work stations. I’m sure people can and do sleep in them, but it looks like the intent is to let people get some work done in quiet while traveling if they need to?

6 Likes

When I lived in Japan, I stayed in a coffin hotel just to say I did. The experience was underwhelming, though I can see now how it would be a godsend for some of my more extreme business travels. (DC to Dili, no layovers? Yikes!)

As someone who can’t sleep sitting up, the sleep pod wouldn’t work for me, though a nice, quiet room to decompress for a couple hours has its a appeal.

4 Likes

Chestnut cake looked nice

Not sure about coffee>sleep>work though.

3 Likes

That’s the impression I get too. The soundproofing looks good but it’s not clear if the lights can be be turned off to make the room completely dark.

4 Likes

Indeed - and a chair that cannot recline! Not excessively conducive to sleep.

2 Likes

IMO this looks great, and I hope similar things start showing up elsewhere. I’d gladly pay that price or a bit more for some peace and quiet in an airport or train station. What would really bring it home for me would be electrochromic glass to properly darken the room though.

But yes, these are clearly not “sleep pods”. Work and/or nap pods?

Also, I have to comment on the joy it gave me to see a Belgian waffle store in Japan named after a famous statue in Brussels of a naked, peeing toddler.

4 Likes

“Inside a sleep pod in a Japanese railway station”

You know, for when you’re down in the tube station, say at midnight.

4 Likes

These work stations are pretty common in the larger metro stations in Tokyo these days.

Or perhaps with two chairs, so couples can in supreme comfort safely plot the demise of renegade AIs.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.