Japanese company creates vertical nap pod to sleep standing up

Originally published at: Japanese company creates vertical nap pod to sleep standing up | Boing Boing

6 Likes

A Japanese company is reinventing the nap pod to save space.

Since rotating them ninety degrees wouldn’t require anymore space, is there some obvious reason for the vertical-ity? (“something sexual perhaps?” oh you always think that!)

12 Likes

Most terrestrial buildings have an abundance of unused vertical space. In the case of capsule hotels or space travel, I’d agree with you.

3 Likes

If you were only going to install one or two inside a room then a vertical pod would probably take up less floor space. Still a silly contraption though.

6 Likes

Thinking of a certain song by Argent right now.

5 Likes

A few weeks back Amazon decided I needed whatever the hell this is:

Mouth opening: “… and for breathing” - cool, cool, good to know.

8 Likes

These GTP Images are getting more and more outlandish :smile::smile::smile:

6 Likes

This looks like a very expensive way to take all of the joy out of napping.

8 Likes

So this, but with the (probably broken) promise of sleep?

7 Likes

No comment on the design, but trialling them in coffee shops seems counterproductive, non?

11 Likes

Could there be legal issues as well? Like, if it’s horizontal and someone can sleep in it, does it have to be regulated like a hotel/motel room or something?

7 Likes

That’s thoroughly disgusting. What TF will be next? Are they developing ways for us to stay on our feet working and awake All The Time? Seems like the “logical” next step.

Is this BS, like capsule hotels, etc all due to Japan’s overcrowding? Countries that actually have some space don’t come up with shit like this…

5 Likes

I highly recommend the AppleTV show Severance.
Not sure WHEN those folks sleep?
Maybe it is: ON for 8, OFF for 8 and SLEEP for 8.

1 Like

more targeted at salaryman I would guess.
in the toilet cubicles in my office block there are signs saying do not sleep here for too long, if you can sleep on the toilet, one of these capsules would not be too bad.

There are already individual work/rest cubes in a lot of the train stations so this would be a similar market.

3 Likes

The airlines already own that patent

3 Likes
11 Likes

this absolutely does NOT look restful, and that is the whole point of sleeping in the first place.

5 Likes

At least vampires get to sleep laying down
Halloween Lol GIF by BrownSugarApp

4 Likes

Looks like a great way to get some sleep if you’re having really horrible heartburn, but aside from that I can’t say I see the appeal.

4 Likes

Now in blue and orange!

pjn3_row

6 Likes