Watch: Young woman blows smoke out of her ear

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/28/watch-young-woman-blows-smoke.html

3 Likes

In business meetings I can blow smoke out of my ass.

24 Likes

8th wonder of the World.

4 Likes

Ouch.

9 Likes

Well that’s what dancing in front of Mayan Warrior can do to you. I still regret walking directly in front of the speakers once…

2 Likes

My eardrum once perforated (it’s since healed). It was actually a huge relief: I’d been in agony for the past few days with a terrible ear infection, but as soon as the eardrum burst and the pressure was released, the pain stopped. I was on an airplane a day or two after, and felt no pressure at all in that ear.

4 Likes

I was going to post an old school cartoon where they get really mad and shoot steam out of their ears, and say “Amateur”, but I can’t find one…

3 Likes

I believe a number of movies were made about this phenomenon: Blow It Out Jurassic Park, Blow It Out Jurassic World…

2 Likes

I would not want the contents of that steam/smoke/whatever up my Eustachian tubes, much less within the confined delicate innards of my ears.

1 Like

FTFM and @Robbo :joy:

2 Likes

NWhile I know this will sound like a J. Peterman tale, here goes …

I was on a 100ft catamaran diving in the Coral Sea. I’d always had issues equalizing but this dive was particularly bad, and try as I might, I couldn’t descend below 30ft without intense pain. As the rest of my party descended into the depths, I was stuck floating. I gave it one more go, pinching my nose and mouth, tilting my head to try and open up the eustacian tube and … I heard a piercing high-pitched whistle followed by a sudden relief of pain. I thought for sure that I had ruptured something. Since there was no pain though, I decided to descend and finish the dive, fully expecting that it would be my last one for the trip. As it turned out though, not only was I fine, I have never again had problems with pressurization in that ear.

2 Likes

I have always remembered my fourth grade teacher telling the class how he burst his eardrum by closing his mouth and pinching his nose during a sneeze. Afterwards and until it healed he said he could breath through that ear while submerged with only that ear above water.

2 Likes

Other way round here: my tympanic tube is often clogged with mucus, since I have some anatomical peculiarity and I’m allergic. The pain on a plane in 2014 made me nearly cry out, and my stupid nose-blowing counter-pressure put a micro-hole in my eardrum.

Having troubles ever since. Thank goodness no bacteria invaded my ear, yet. But I not only have tinnitus, but also painful episodes, especially when again having pressurisation trouble. Also, a loud clicking noise when I swallow, often.

I strongly advise against the usual counter-pressure method, and the Valsalva and Müller methods, from my experience. A difficult, but in my case working method is the béance tubaire volontaire.

Be careful with your eardrums. They can heal, but they will never be the same again.

Also, don’t smoke through your ears, even if you can.
Have you ever seen the condensate residuals in a cigarette filter? You surely don’t want THAT in your ear, do you?

2 Likes

That sounds lovely. I tried diving once (just a resort course, I think we only went down about 30’). I was able to equalize pressure on the way down, but suffered from intense pain on the way back up. This was pretty scary for a first-time diver, as I wasn’t used to communicating through gestures and basically had no choice but to keep going up and hope my ears would survive. Too bad, I otherwise enjoyed diving.

Related:

1 Like

I think the valsalva version where you just use the air in your mouth and press on it with a closed glottis works fine although it takes a little practice to get it right. This is much safer than trying to push directly with your lungs since you have so little air in your mouth that you can’t really rupture your ear drums. For me, learning to equalize properly was the most useful part of my diving training. I don’t scuba any more, but nowadays I can fly without pain during the descent.

Although I never got to see it myself, my husbands grandfather could reportedly blow cigarette smoke out of his tear ducts. Apparently it was very painful. He could do this as his tear ducts had been surgically bored out as a child.

1 Like

Roughly a decade ago I was at a party where a few round whistles were circulating (only the whistle part of one of those unrolling paper party whistles). I made a few jokes with my friends about seeing if you can make it whistle with your nostril, and had some laughs about trying to make it seem like you were making it whistle from your ear.

A few minutes later a guy I knew from a different group comes up to me, and proudly (drunkenly) shows me he can make it whistle with his nostril. I stealthily prodded my buddy and loudly told him “that’s nothing, I can do that with my ear” and proceeded to mime the act (puffy cheeks and all) while my buddy made the actual sound. I can still remember his surprised face to this day :joy:

5 Likes

As if vaping itself wasn’t already a gross act, then there is this which is even more gross to my eyes, and then of course the dude bro over reaction screams which then violates MY ears.

Thanks BB. Put a warning on it next time.

1 Like

Blowing smoke out one ear was a “social accomplishment”, according to J.B.S. Haldane (who had burst his eardrum in the course of emergency depressurisation research).