We are all part of the biggest psychological experiment in history

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/22/we-are-all-part-of-the-biggest.html

6 Likes

That headline is gonna push the nation’s paranoids over the edge. Stock up on tinfoil.

7 Likes

Can I be in the control group?

26 Likes

I have to keep reminding myself, “normal” was never sustainable to begin with. If not Covid, it would have been something else that pulled the plug on this racket.

Building an economy where the rich don’t routinely victimize the poor, that seems like a worthy goal to experiment with.

18 Likes

What if we just tell you you’re in the control group?

20 Likes

Life is always the large psychological experiment.

14 Likes

So how do you explain Mediums!?

4 Likes

A mutant ability that grants access to the spirit realm?

6 Likes

This is the only good thing about American exceptionalism meaning that people confuse demanding freedom with free refills. This will drag out here far longer than anywhere else (except in the other nations that have turned to authoritarianism). Even in March, this event was unparalleled in all of human history and the economic impact felt in absolutely every sector; public, private, manufacturing, shipping, retail… everything. People in more rural states are busying themselves trying to fabricate a reality that doesn’t exist, thereby ensuring that it rapidly vanishes further over the horizon every day. People have tasted something different; the ability to be with their children instead of grinding away for their entire time together, the catastrophic collapse of the social safety net with no refuge at any socioeconomic level, the utter intransigence of regressive politics to meet the moment. We no longer have to imagine a different world, the vision was thrust upon us and I don’t know if we’ll ever be able to buy that myth wholesale again. It may take some time, but this pandemic accelerated what was already fermenting.

Apropos of everything;

If there’s a bustle in your hedgerow
Don’t be alarmed now
It’s just a spring clean for the May queen
Yes, there are two paths you can go by
But in the long run
There’s still time to change the road you’re on
And it makes me wonder

Your head is humming and it won’t go
In case you don’t know
The piper’s calling you to join him
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow?
And did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind?

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

ETA: :metal:

18 Likes

Might work.

1 Like

Placebo™

2 Likes

Yay?

1 Like
1 Like

Meh. This is just an experiment in the sense that everything everyone does is an experiment. In a proper scientific experiment, the hypothesis is laid out first, and then the experiment is designed.

4 Likes

Especially when the trans-dimensional mice are running it.

7 Likes

I feel like this is more of “shock” in the Gurdjieffian sense.

2 Likes

If this an experiment, it is crap science.

No hypothesis, no end point, no control group, no ethics board approval…

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.