Wearable robotic "third arm" can punch through a wall

I came here to say what you said better.

You’re gonna want to mount that thing somewhere you don’t mind being punched by a wall.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Technically wouldn’t that be a quarter, or perhaps 5/8 as cool (depending on how you want to divide the coolness among the limbs, artificial and natural, of Dr. Octavius)

Pretty sure you don’t need a hydraulic arm to smash sheet rock with a 4 cm ball-peen on a rod.

3 Likes

But see, it’s labor saving in that the American coal miners and factory workers who won’t pick fruit for a living but will control robot hands will be doing less work. The immigrant laborers who wear the robot hands controlled by other people will still have their free hands to do their part for much less money. It’s win-win!*

• one or more of these “win”s is a “lose,” but don’t tell the robot hand that…it’ll punch right through a wall.
4 Likes

Depends on which incarceration of Doc Ock you’re referring to.

1 Like

Or by an AI interpreting switches.

“He solves mysteries of the universe by day, by night he fights crime! It’s Hawking Man!”

So the robots will be riding around on humans. Probably cheaper than making a mobile robot. Plus they can just junk the humans every couple of years to get a newer model.

7 Likes

Finally, something that can hold my beer while I play guitar.

5 Likes

Pretty sure I could break through some 1/2 inch drywall with a soupspoon.

I like the idea but it has some distance to go.

2 Likes

I need this so I can work on my ski-boxing.

2 Likes

Hmmm, those protests are about to get a whole lot more interesting.

We need some XL versions of these here in Seattle to keep the rioters pigs at bay.

Perfect for my Trogdor costume!

1 Like

Disappointed they cut the scene “Stop hitting yourself! Why do you keep hitting yourself?”

2 Likes

She needs to be careful that thing doesn’t hit her! That could get bad real quick.

1 Like

One extra arm? That’s not even trying:

P.S. Two Stellarc references in one day!

2 Likes

I was hoping to see it play rock, paper, scissors with her.

Reminded me of the old joke with the guy at the urinal… “Hey, robot hand, jerk it off!”

1 Like

Tars Tarkas approves