Weatherman angry that no-one appreciates being told about forthcoming Michigan weather

The real problem is that the poor fellow isn’t sexy enough.

Isn’t that a hiring requirement for weather reporters these days?

America doesn’t trust — much less appreciate — a weather report if there’s no sultry hint of cleavage.

1 Like

Check out the Spanish-language news. The sexual dimorphism is so pronounced, you can’t believe the male-female pairs of newscasters even belong to the same species.

2 Likes

Hmm. “Sorry this video does not exist.” It’s the Bigfoot of YouTube.

3 Likes

*Vimeo

YouTube looks more like dead air.

“The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man’s heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”
― Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays

1 Like

Do people in Alaska or Siberia or Lapland complain about the cold? Or do people in the tropics go “oh no, not again, a monsoon?!”

1 Like

I can answer that!

When I lived in Minneapolis, my neighbors all had an intervention for me because I re-roofed my aged brown roof with black shingles, in a neighborhood filled with white shingles: “Black shingles will make your house hot.” WTF?! They claimed every winter was unusually mild.

When I lived in Tucson, everyone who was acclimatized would be bundled up when the weather sank to almost forty at night.

Now, I live in Denver, and everyone claims that we’re unusually dry this year. …every year…

1 Like

Ah. Vimeo. All I saw was a big black unclickable rectangle stating the video’s lack of existence. I made the Google Approved Assumption™ that it was YouTube’s f*ckery.

1 Like

I didn’t see this originally, but based on the clues I’ve picked up – Michigan, and the thumbnail in Golgle’s cache of Rob’s post – it looks like here’s a non-pulled YouTube version:

(Spoiler: it’s not as angry as I had hoped from the post.)

4 Likes

Light a fire for a man, he will be warm for an hour. Set him on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life

– Terry Pratchett.

3 Likes

This is what I remember about Michigan winters more than the snow or cold; it would be oppressingly overcast for huge stretches of time. It would just make me angry week after week at the monotonous grayness.

3 Likes

At least they have it better than the on-scene reporters.

3 Likes

I suspect (but cannot prove) that the Spanish speaking world finds mustaches more appealing than the English speaking world.

1 Like

!Si! Si mucho! It’s part of the sexual dimorphism: “What can men do that women can’t? Grow facial hair!”

I think some of it may also be a long-lived echo of the Moorish influence on the Iberian peninsula.

My brother had a thick, black mustache for years, and now he has a Van Dyke. A lot of it is because without it, he looked about 12 years old. It’s led to some very funny ‘mistaken identity’ things when people try to speak Spanish to him, and he has to interrupt in a thick Colorado accent, “Despacio, por favor. Mi Espanol is muy mal…”

1 Like

Huh. Might be your overall look. I have grown a lot of facial hair, and live in a town roughly half Hispanic. (I love this about my town) People don’t speak spanish to me unless they have no other option.

Granted my beard is red and my head brown.

My SO who speaks less Spanish than me (by a lot) gets a lot more Spanish spoken to her. Her native language is Bisaya.

This isn’t news to anyone, I just think it is a fun story. Ethnicity is weird and bullshit and comprises a lot of our private jokes, especially because a lot of Asians don’t like each other.

1 Like

Not really.

That newscaster stuff isn’t dimorphisim, it’s sexism.

Men could stuff themselves into body-con dresses and wear heels and lipstick just as easily as women, and speaking as a latin woman, we sure as shit grow mustaches and unibrows- but we rip them out.

5 Likes

Yeah, but I have to blame my prickly little caterpillar on my central european grandparents - they have 100% saturation on that mustache thing. My mom’s family won’t even grow peach fuzz after menopause.

I was using ‘sexual dimorphism’ sarcastically - as if that contrast was the product of nature. You wanna bet money that guy is wearing a girdle and power-suit shoulder pads? The mustache is probably enhanced, too…

1 Like

I think it’s more our habits. Living in Colorado, piling the grocery cart full of Mexican ingredients, swearing in Spanglish, standing in front half-renovated houses waiting for the concrete truck to arrive…

My brother looks very Hispanic, but for no good reason. Both sides of my family have had black hair and eyes for generations. I, on the other hand, came out milk-white and red-haired. It’s so much fun to bust out potty-mouthed little kids cussing in Spanish.

Yup, that describes most winters. It’s even worse when there’s no snow because the sky is grey all the time, and everything else is brown. In the random years that Lake Michigan freezes over, winter is Minnesota cold (I grew up in the Twin Cities, this is no exaggeration), but the sun comes out a whole lot more.

3 Likes

Ah, okay fair enough.

tumblr_nv5uqiL1OA1r90q2jo1_400

1 Like