Weekend reading: both 'The Snarkout Boys' books free via Kindle Unlimited

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/01/weekend-reading-both-the-sn.html

1 Like

I fell in love with these books and some of Pinkwater’s other absurd tales in junior high. I ended up reading them out loud to my son last year and they hold up: still brilliant.

1 Like

I’ve forgotten damn near everything about these, but I know I greatly enjoyed them in the 7th grade.
something about a plant with magnetic properties made into a tortilla, put into a disc drive, and loaded with all the school curriculum per class and grade so your could eat it and never have to study.
and a soundproof underground bunker where the kids could listen to Depeche Mode as loud as they wanted.
and sneaking out to the movies.

1 Like

These are both excellent books. I read them as a kid, and revisited them as an adult and they hold up. My daughters read them as teenagers and also loved them–and Pinkwater’s entire catalog.

Also highly recommended: Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars. That book literally changed my life when I read it (new!) in paperback in 1983. It turned me into a reader when I was a reluctant 13-year-old. Daniel Pinkwater is a national treasure.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.