Weekend Temperatures In Antarctica Were 70 Degrees Above Average

Originally published at: Weekend Temperatures In Antarctica Were 70 Degrees Above Average | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Harrison Ford Reaction GIF

23 Likes

For context if Phoenix, AZ had similarly above-average temperatures for this time of year they’d be experiencing 150-degree daytime highs right now.

10 Likes

Spring planting here used to be zeroed in on plants suitable for Zone 7a. This year we’re focusing on water tolerant plants more suited for Zone 9a or b.

9 Likes

Same here, we have had plants in the ground for 3 weeks, and we’re at 3500 feet. Strawberries all Winter, and all the trees are in full bloom and forming leaves already. I think our planting zone is 8a, and after checking we are in 10 a now.

7 Likes

6b here, trees all budding out with a few blooming already. Scares me, because even with the warming climate, we still get surprise cold snaps that can do in a whole crop.

7 Likes

Yep, we are slaves to the plastic sheets [cover plants] at sunset, or we lose our plants.

7 Likes

I still keep my tropicals indoors until late May, just because of that. But we are not really suited to covering our peach, pear and apple trees. They are pretty much on their own. The persimmons and jujubes are very late to break bud and never have any issues, and the elders and gojis could probably take a true Arctic blast and shrug it off. But those other guys are just too temperamental for the state of the climate as is.

5 Likes

For the Southern California high desert in mid - March, this is really early Spring.

8 Likes

That’s 22.1°C (or technically K) in case anyone is as lost as I was

3 Likes

My warmest day working at the South Pole was -8F. Not sure what we would have done in above zero weather.

8 Likes

the 70°F difference is the same as 38.9°C above normal

10 Likes

In NorCal too.

I picked some white jasmine I found growing wild, just yesterday.

8 Likes

I wish I could take a more hopeful view than that. There are a lot of good people and institutions doing their best but they can only do so much. Nation-states are not working at the pace and intensity needed to mitigate things and are sometimes pushing in the wrong direction. The same can be said for the big trans-national corporations.

We’re in for a very ugly global future as it is with the now baseline 1.5-degree increase and it’s not alarmist to anticipate a 2-degree increase (driven by cumulative cascading effects from situations like this).

5 Likes

Failing to account for positive feedback loops has been the shortfall of quite a number of the models thus far. I fear we will see it played out in real time over the next couple decades or so, though.

3 Likes

If methane starts getting released in sufficient amounts from under the ice and permafrost it becomes a real death spiral.

As it is, a lot of areas are going to become uninhabitable to humans sooner than TPTB are willing to admit in public.

8 Likes

That’s insane

4 Likes

i feel like there’s some details missing here… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Climate scientists, everywhere:

And There It Is Told You So GIF by UMC - Stream Black Better

6 Likes

This Is Not Fine Climate Change GIF by INTO ACTION

5 Likes