Weird Al scales back for his 2018 'Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour'

For years after introducing my daughter to Al’s music I’ve been trying to tell her he’s not a musician but a comedian/satirist.

Apparently I’m wrong.

With Dylan in concert it can be hard to recognize his familiar songs. He tends to re-interpret wildly.

1 Like

There is a great need for a coalition of mainstream artists to come together, and parody the originals he’s planning to perform for this tour.

3 Likes

I go to TMBG shows and ask for “Cage and Aquarium”. A lot.

1 Like

If you play him at 45 he sounds like Tom Petty, and vice versa.

1 Like

Well, I was going to submit 45 to grindcore, but ok…

2 Likes

Obligatory:

http://static.echonest.com/BoilTheFrog/?src=Weird%20Al%20Yankovic&dest=Tom%20Petty

:wink:

1 Like

Pffft. I can get there with one Adrian Belew guitar solo! :wink:

1 Like

Eh, he could do just about anything and still fill a venue easily, I expect.

And of course you know at least a fifth of ticket purchasers are going to go online after this one and complain bitterly about the absence of parodies and costumes.

2 Likes

word crimes

1 Like

Should have stuff from UHF maybe then?

1 Like

that would be a nice supplies

2 Likes

Me, every time someone mentions shopping for a new television:

“Oh, a TV that’s 60 inches? You think that’s big? Funny thing, Weird Al had a song about a 2000 inch TV.”

He’s the real deal, in fact there’s a lot going on with the instrumentation part alone. During his last tour i was casually talking with his bassist i think and he was saying that they reverse engineer all the songs they parody. They don’t get sheet music, or play recorded backing music or anything like that. They spend a lot of time and effort trying to nail the sound of whatever artist they are parodying, and some artists are more challenging than others.

2 Likes

In the immortal words of Jules Winnfield, “Ah, man. I’m goin’ that’s all there is to it.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.