Weird "witch bottle" found in former pub's chimney

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/05/weird-witch-bottle-found-i.html

3 Likes

Weird. My brother had issues with a ghost in his former house. He called a lady who deals with these types of things and she had him place a few seeds (I can’t recall what kind) above his interior door frames and windows. Never had issues with the ghost after that. He moved out years ago but still keeps a couple seeds in his wallet.

4 Likes

Does this keep away good witches too? Asking for a friend.

glinda

11 Likes

Placebo tiger stone?

2 Likes

Paltrow should jump on this!

1 Like

She doesn’t jump.
Stuff might fall out.

9 Likes

Appropriate Ad is Appropriate.

11 Likes

chimney stacks?
so does that mean Santa is a witch too? :open_mouth:

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure he weighs more than a duck.

10 Likes

It’s easy to mock the backward folk of yesteryear, until you look at what the backward folk of today believe, and you have to think, maybe it’d be better if Fox News mongered fear of banshees and wills-o’-the-wisp instead of, you know.

I mean, if people must have arational beliefs to explain what they’re unwilling to understand, it’s probably safer to peddle them stories that won’t intersect with actual reality at all.

5 Likes

In older versions of the ritual it kills the witch. Provided ones already been witching at you.

So I’d imagine so.

1 Like

i just watched the movie “The love Witch” and witch bottles feature promonently, although in that movie they are made BY a witch. sounds like they are actually made to ward off witches…

3 Likes
2 Likes

The Love Witch is a great and weird movie! Totally strange, lovely visuals.

Um, are we sure that larger bottle is supposed to go up the “chimney”?

Looking at the shape, it looks more like it’s supposed to go up an entirely different dark passage.

But seriously, what kind of bottle is that? And why does it have a tapered end?

1 Like

It’s a ‘torpedo bottle’ for carbonated drinks. They have a cork closure which needs to be kept M-O-I-S-T to avoid shrinkage and pressure loss, and hence are designed so they can’t be stored upright.

5 Likes

We had a concealed shoe in our eaves.

My first thought on reading that was “Oh sure, when a man uses something unusual that’s fine, but if a woman does the same thing suddenly it’s called deviant/evil.” :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

wasn’t intending to imply anything like that, it just occurred to me that story-wise, Santa Claus also uses chimneys, so that must make him a witch too, if they also use them.

or, i suppose, witches are actually… whatever Santa is.

2 Likes

Oops - I didn’t mean you, I meant when I saw it in the original article.

1 Like