Welding mishap

Two puns in one sentence is just brazing.

don’t put on headphones and turn up the volume up high for neat AMSR effects.

1 Like

Look, I’ve worked hard to make the disappointment list, and I don’t intend to stop until my effort is recognized. #DisappointedInBoingBoing

(Or is it “DisappointedWith”? I can never remember. See what I have to put up with?)

1 Like

Huh, are they making them out of concrete now? Interesting. Around here they’re all wood still. In fact, just a few months ago I saw a team replacing ties, and the new ones were wooden. Maybe they’re a US thing?

From Railroad ties:

Railroad ties are traditionally made of wood, but pre-stressed concrete is now also widely used, especially in Europe and Asia. Steel ties are common on secondary lines in the UK; plastic composite ties are also employed, although far less than wood or concrete. As of January 2008, the approximate market share in North America for traditional and wood ties was 91.5%, the remainder being concrete, steel, azobé (red ironwood) and plastic composite.

3 Likes

Interesting!

Come to think, I don’t recall exactly how they were installing the new ties, but they did have an interesting technique for preparing them: there was one team/vehicle that had laid a new tie down next to each old tie, lying at a 45-degree angle to the rail, and another (slower) team/vehicle following along removing the old ones and installing the new ones.

I was wondering why there were all those ties laid out neatly along the embankment, so I was looking at the track when we passed the vehicles in action

3 Likes

Third time’s the charm!

He clearly passed his corporate ropes course.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.