Wendy's to implement Uber-style surge pricing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/27/wendys-to-implement-uber-style-surge-pricing.html

9 Likes

Are you telling me a group of seemingly intelligent people got together and thought this was a good idea?

26 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: capitalism has got this species twisted.

23 Likes

How is this different from an early bird special? Or a restaurant that serves breakfast entrees that are cheaper than dinner? Or lunch specials less than dinner?

2 Likes

In all of those cases, you know (or can find out) what your meal will cost before going to the restaurant.

41 Likes

Early birds and assorted traditional restaurant offerings aren’t algorithmic in their nature, and don’t change depending on the flow of traffic at a certain time. This merging of tech and greed is quite different to the bargains you mentioned.

32 Likes

No, they’re telling you that a group of libertarian-capitalists got together and thought this was a good idea.

I wouldn’t call anyone who believes in homo-economicus seemingly or actually intelligent.

25 Likes

Tine for the workers to introduce management to the concept of surge wages.

The idea behind surge pricing with ride share companies is that it theoretically attracts more drivers to certain areas where and when needed. I’m doubting they are going to be helicoptering in more frosty mix a peak time.

41 Likes

I’m feeling a surge, right now.

10 Likes

Notice how there’s nothing in the article about prices going below the baseline during off-peak hours.

28 Likes

“Surge wages”? Meaning I get more for working the lunch rush? And the boozy busy happy hour?

I like that idea.

14 Likes

ThE mArKeT wiLL rEgULaTe iTsELf

20 Likes

Profits will be increasing at peak times.

The wages of the people making and serving the food will remain the same.

26 Likes

Wouldn’t it be great if the people figured out how to manipulate food prices like rich people manipulate the stock market.

Stop buying food, drive the prices down, buy up the food until the prices rise and then stop eating until they drop agsin.

Still a few bugs to work out.

14 Likes

That adjacent story about spending a year on a pretend Mars base sounds more enticing by the day.

7 Likes

It may have been sold internally as a way to spread out the lunch rush which is a problem in restaurants with many bringing in extra staff to work very short shifts (which is not good for either the staff or the restaurant). They could have done a better job selling it to customers though; like offering off-peak-hour discounts rather than surge pricing.

6 Likes

Make It Rain Laughing GIF

3 Likes

More important to sell it to the shareholders though, and the shareholders will love this phrasing.

8 Likes

Just seeing the headline I did wonder if the surge pricing was being implemented for their restrooms.

4 Likes

Wendy’s had a severe misunderstanding of the point of surge pricing.

The increased pricing brings in more providers to adjust for the increased demand.

11 Likes