Were you aware that somebody made a Jackie Chan diss movie?

Originally published at: Were you aware that somebody made a Jackie Chan diss movie? | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Credits sequence for Police Story. You get a great view of Chan’s directing style and the stunts in flat wide shots that make them look even more impressive.

6 Likes

Once you’ve got haters, you know you’ve made it, right?

1 Like

I mean, if you’re looking for something bad to say about Jackie Chan:

Chan’s views on Hong Kong politics have gradually shifted from a pro-democratic stance in the 1990s to a pro-Beijing stance since the 2010s. Since 2013, Chan has been a pro-Communist politician, serving as an invited delegate in the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference.

6 Likes

That and abandoning his daughter because she’s gay. What an asshole.

9 Likes

I regret the all too many Wong Jing movies I have seen (from before I started filtering by director). “Wong’s style, often seen as loud, crass and philistine, may be another factor in his low stock among critics.” You can say that again, and again.

EDIT: However Jacky Cheung (portraying Jackie Chan in this movie) is often very good, e.g. in Wong Kar-Wai’s Ashes of Time.

“I’m gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we’re not being controlled, we’ll just do what we want.” Jackie Chan 2009

5 Likes

jackie-chan-meme

4 Likes

Actually High Risk is one of his better joints and one of the few of his I can recommend to HK movie newbies. It never completely degenerates into idiocy and the tone is fairly consistent for HK movie standards (and especially Wong Jing “standards”).

The action is off the hook wild and the whole movie is an unmitigated blast of pure entertainment. It’s Die Hard x10 on 1/10 the budget. Highly recommended if you like over the top action movies.

3 Likes
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.