Werner Herzog's answer to how many languages he can speak turns dark

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/07/werner-herzogs-answer-to-how-many-languages-he-can-speak-turns-dark.html

16 Likes

Do any of his answers not turn dark?

35 Likes

On parle français ici!

But he spoke French in the clip! Was the interviewer pointing a gun at him?

11 Likes

Mais pourquoi?? Of the two and three quarters languages i can order a sandwich with, French is the most fun with which to cause the hearer’s ears to bleed because of my terrible accent. (and besides, Germans immediately want to correct your grammar geworden sein ab)

11 Likes

Also: Galactic Common

9 Likes

(Thank you for the correct “polyglot” tag [vs. “linguist”]).

2 Likes
16 Likes

Depends on how you feel about Disney World.

13 Likes

“… and that was my first Beginner French language lesson… I’m Werner Herzog and this is my Masterclass.”

10 Likes

Herzog? Dark?

6 Likes

Always the optimist…

18 Likes

I’d like to know when and why he’d previously had a gun to his head and was told to speak French.

2 Likes

Werner gets shot…

5 Likes

He describes it in the video clip…but if you want a spoiler

He was held at gunpoint by some drunk/high child solders (maybe mistaken identity), and when he attempted to talk his way out they said they are only speaking French

He does tell it far better then I.

6 Likes

Your wish is granted: watch the film clip.

5 Likes

Sacré bleu!

1 Like

“Excuse me, sir, do you have the time?”

WERNER HERZOG: I have less and less. I sometimes think back to a time when I felt, for a moment, that I had time enough. I was six years old. We were hungry that winter.

31 Likes

I regret it. I shouldn’t have done it.

Am I understanding Herzog correctly as saying here that he should have refused to speak French and faced the consequences?

4 Likes

To be fair, I’m pretty sure his recipe for blueberry muffins would turn dark.

3 Likes

And yet brings sunshine to my day :slight_smile:

4 Likes