What a guitar sounds like played through 319 pedals

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/02/what-a-guitar-sounds-like-play.html

3 Likes

Reminds me of the finale of a Sonic Youth show I saw.

8 Likes

The end was very evocative. Unfortunately it evoked the sound of ‘something has gone horribly wrong on your starship, sorry’

10 Likes

Equivalent to “what if I mixed all the sodas together at the fountain at Burger King !”

8 Likes

How (completely not) unexpected that a couple hundred waveform modulators, each of which introduces some noise as well as the ‘desired’ distortions, ends up mostly amplified noise.

Next project: follow each analog pedal with a digitizer + FFT + noise rejector + DAC. I’m not sure I see the point.

3 Likes

Holy ground loop, Batman!

I’m pretty sure that’s a ground loop, so you won’t get rid of it that way.

5 Likes

Or make like Chris Carter and ditch the guitar altogether. I mean it’s pretty superfluous.

6 Likes

Reminds me of the opening to a Sunn O))) concert

5 Likes

297 of them are completely redundant.

1 Like

At that point, you might was well start putting together a modular synth!

2 Likes

Sounds like a more melodic Merzbow song.

Or use a modular synth and a direct insert preamplifier module.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Chris refer to it as a guitar pedal modular synth. In this case he is using a sampler as a start point but I’m sure you could start with a pedal with audible oscillation like, say, a resonant filter…

1 Like
1 Like

Now need to hear the software simulation

Sounds like my first sound station laptop from 2002 catching on fire.

Well, he’s got serial connections down pat. Now lets try 319 pedals in parallel.

My brother brought me to a “Sleep” concert. At the end of his gig, the bassist played a chord, set up some kind of feedback loop, turned the amps up to 11 and walked off the stage. The roadies left us with about a minute of ear-splitting bass chord before shutting it down.

I had construction grade earplugs in and it did not even touch the noise level. Was a great concert, but 10/10 would not do again.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.