What a journalist learned by tracking her time every day for 3 years

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/22/what-a-journalist-learned-by-t.html

3 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one who ends up at the wrong hotel after a long day of travel.

Seems sorta kinky.

1 Like

I’ve tried to log my time. Learned it was a waste of time.

8 Likes

The only time it ever helped me was for convincing certain managers that yes, I really am that busy.

6 Likes

How much time did she spend looking for a pen?

3 Likes

This is something that Neil Fiore of “The Now Habit” suggests that everyone does at least for a week or two to get a feeling for their current schedule. He suggests then the creation of the ‘unschedule’ In which everything that isn’t fixed like driving time, dinner time, family time, outings etc. gets scheduled. In this way we can see the blank spots in our schedule which are available for our work goals. When you do this a sense of urgency immediately arises as you realize just how many hours there are in the day between scheduled meetings to get tasks done.

(Running clock of meeting costs based upon each employee’s salary would also be a great idea for those long rambling business meetings. LOL)

2 Likes

Also helpful: a not to do list.

5 Likes

Does she log everything? And i mean everything

2 Likes

About five years ago I started a free Wordpress blog, set to private so that only I can see it. Every night when I get in bed I make a quick entry in the Wordpress app on my phone, listing the major events of the day: What I did, where I went, who I saw, that kind of thing–just the basics. It’s been an incredibly useful tool on several occasions, when I want to know the last time I ate at Restaurant X, how long ago was that doctor visit, what movie did I watch at my brother’s house, etc.

On the other hand, I’m pretty sure that if I tried to count out every half-hour, I’d quickly go full Black Mirror. I’d soon want to account for every single minute, and then I’d want to attach photos/video/GPS track of everything, and then I’d start looking for ways to aggregate/analyze my own data, and so on. Pretty soon most of my time-records would just say “obsessively reexamined the past.”

6 Likes

Google already does all of this for you. Black Mirror is now.

3 Likes

Sounds hellish.

1 Like

Seems we all voluntarily equipped ourselves with our own personal gestapo. We did this willingly… the mind boggles.

Such an odd obsession to me for someone to want to track the minutia of their day in order to make sure it’s full.
We all work and play too hard.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.