What are NFTs?

It is weird, but so is the concept of owning physical art. A Van Gogh painting is not copyrighted but is worth millions, while a poster of the Van Gogh is worth $25 at the museum gift shop, but you can buy it for $10 elsewhere because the museum doesn’t actually own the copyright, just the physical medium. I can even commission someone to paint a reproduction which might well be indistinguishable from the original without specialized equipment yet the value would be minimal. And then there are prints and photographs where even the originals are reproductions, yet can still be valuable while reproductions are not. People are assigning value based on the creative and cultural importance of the idea, but then vesting that value in a specific physical object.

This seems to be trying to capitalize on the same idea in a digital world – that people want to own and value “the real thing”, regardless of whether that makes any logical sense.

8 Likes

In a digital world, that is an illusion.

One can make the case for it being an illusion in the physical world as well.

3 Likes

It’s almost like art is subjective or something!

1 Like

isitart

5 Likes

Sean Bonner wrote a good introductory piece to NTFs (non-fungible tokens)

Those letters do not seem to be in the correct order.

1 Like

Sigh, yet another tulip craze really. Blockchain is the tulip of our times

7 Likes

Non-Token Fungibles doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.

Or not. My understanding is that there’s no royalty systems built in to any NFTs. Currently royalties are all reliant on being collected by particular marketplaces on which the NFTs get sold. Different marketplace? No royalty.

2 Likes

What are NFTs?

Nematodes of Fantastic Tonnage?

I don’t think they exist.

16 Likes

They’re trying to address that with a standard:

But reading it, it looks like the exchanges/marketplaces will still have a lot of power. Of course, as with cryptocurrency exchanges they’re all run by upstanding and ethical managers, so no worries, right… /s

3 Likes

Also, why is this connected to cryptocurrency. I should be able to pay whatever the seller and I agree on. Maybe we want to just swap NFTs or we agree to pay in badgers.

3 Likes

North American or European?

1 Like

depends on the land speed

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this. I logged in to post this exact thing as well.

It’s asinine that people who care about the climate crisis have anything to do with crypto considering its incredible ecological cost.

I was surprised Mark posted this.

8 Likes

So the people who bought said “art” don’t actually fully own it if there is a set percentage of any future increase in value whose ownership is retained by the artist.

So do we rail against the fact that DMCA allows companies to essentially retain ownership of something we have “purchased” or do we celebrate NFT for allowing artists greater control over the value of their art? Hmm…?

because rich people have so much money they don’t know what to do with it all

buying imaginary things is something to do with it

5 Likes

And money laundering. Like, for reals.

3 Likes

a painting my magritte

this is not a pipe

this is a drawing

11 Likes

Copyright can be a double-edged sword. As an artist I still depend on it, because I have to protect my “brand”, and not let some goober take a painting I painted and make millions for his product using my art as an advertising/promotional tool. I would most certainly want a cut if some speculator determined my work would increase in value and they were using my painting as a way to get rich/duck taxes.

This is why some artists go with gallery representation. It gives the artist protections that some artists don’t have the time, patience, or business/legal acumen to figure out on their own. And this is only if anyone thinks they should represent you.

Still, as @Andrew_Glasgow pointed out above, blockchain is hella costly on the environment, so I definitely don’t like that idea, no matter how much financial protection it affords me. In a broken planet, I can’t breathe money or protect myself against a constant barrage of ultraviolet rays, so the energy expenditure would be futile.

9 Likes

The best exchange I saw on this:

with the following reply:

13 Likes