What are these mysterious objects filmed flying close to the moon?

Considering they’re on the edge of the sunlit portion of the moon, the angle of the shadow would be much too close to parallel with the surface for it to be anything but extremely close to the casting object. Yet once they are over the dark portion they’re still lit by the sun.

Fake. Initially “convincing” in pure graphic quality, and an eerie sight to behold for sure. But definitely fake.

3 Likes

871a7c3f-23e3-4876-a4b4-1bfd143e02f2_text1

8 Likes

I welcome our Moon orbiting OverLords. :alien:

5 Likes

Totally aliens. No question.

2 Likes

For those asking how the person filming knew exactly where to aim the camera, apparently they had been tipped off ahead of time. There’s supposed to be another video coming later this week.

3 Likes

To my eye the biggest giveaway of the fakery is the clouds in the foreground being in focus - what amazing lens could have a depth of focus that would show the details of the lunar surface as sharp as the obscuring thin cloud layer

5 Likes

Things orbiting things at low altitude do travel extremely fast, and due to the total lack of scattering and refraction, the Sun does cast extremely sharp shadows on the Moon. It’s about half a degree in size in the Moon’s sky, whereas these objects would be several degrees across, so their umbrae would be significantly bigger than their penumbrae.

Although the video is certainly fake (and almost certainly made by an underemployed advertising firm), the easiest way to fake it would be a physically accurate simulation of what it really would look like. I strongly doubt that any of the basic details are wrong.

6 Likes

They’re sick of watching us do this to ourselves and are coming to help/destroy us.

Fingers crossed!

(Also, not enough distortion of the ‘flying objects’ either.)
Which is why my brain kept trying to interpret it as a reflection in water, with something moving across it, or a Moon model in a tank of water with some small invertebrates swimming in the tank. Something small and immediate. But those don’t work either. CGI it is, then.

Yeah, but what percentage of the speed of light would they be moving, if they were real?

1 Like

IMO it looks like the scales are way off. Like if you modeled a grain of rice going around a basketball, it would look like this.

I guess if the ships were massive enough it would replicate the same physics?

A pinhole camera, or any lens focused at infinity, as space photographs commonly are?

Modern 3D rendering software works by telling it what focal length / aperture etc. to simulate; it would actually be harder to make it get stuff like that wrong (although it is still possible, if they added clouds in Photoshop).

I won’t do the math, because as I say, the easiest way to fake this will have been for the poster to use off-the-shelf software to calculate correct orbits. But for reference, an object that took, say, 30 seconds to traverse the Moon’s diameter would be going at 0.03% of the speed of light.

The ships would be Manhattan-sized rather than 747-sized, for sure. Their actual mass wouldn’t make a difference, as orbital speed only depends on distance.

8 Likes

TicTacs again!
Like all that Pacific aircraft footage recently!
When did saucers switch to TicTacs?
I miss the saucers.

2 Likes

We’re a little preoccupied right now, aliens! Please postpone your bullsh*t to a later date! We’ve got a lot going on right now. I promise we’ll flip out later, just not a lot of spare panic to go around at this moment. Thank you!

4 Likes

Probably 5G towers gone rogue.

14 Likes

Obviously they’re UFO’s.

At least until someone identifies them.

7 Likes

Dr. Evil’s Bob’s Big Boy 0001, and 0002.

2 Likes

What you’re missing is diffraction limitations. From the wikipedia page on diffraction limited systems:

My camera, for instance is diffraction limited in visible light around f/8, ie when the aperture is smaller than 1/8th of the focal length, the image gets more blurry. The image we’re seeing is (simulated) of a telescope with something like a 2000mm focal length lens. Were this put on my camera, any aperture less than 250mm (about 10 inches) would just make the image blurrier. By the time you got to an aperture of 2mm (hardly a pinhole), the diffraction blur would be 350 pixels wide (ie the sharpest feature would be blurred across a circle with a diameter of 350 pixels).

2 Likes

Seen it.

https://www.sweat4health.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/ET-moon.jpg

1 Like

It pays to have a UFO clause in your contract.

Looks like there’s a mistake at 33 seconds when the atmospheric shimmer stops abruptly, like an effect layer stopped on the timeline (of After Effects maybe?). Strange so much attention was put into this but that wouldn’t be noticed.

2 Likes

Why can’t it be aliens, just one time?

2 Likes