What are these strange videos of quick-cut random images accompanied by chaotic beeping noises?

Never thought I’d get to use this gif twice in two days.
blipvert

21 Likes

It could be random but it sounds like a morse key and the random background bleeps kinda sound like what you’d hear on the vhf bands - is code even used anymore? Telemetry?

2 Likes

Only by the machines as they plan the singularity. The rest of us are busy watching cat videos.

7 Likes

It’s either a Dada art project or Proud Boys steganographic message videos, though that would be giving the Proud Boys too much credit cleverness wise.

5 Likes

They make me want to start a fight in a bar in a solar system light-years away, but it passes.

13 Likes

If they didn’t go so far back, I’d guess they were used for an interface that needed to load images to simulate a computer processing images. So you’re a prop designer and you need a character to run an automated computer scan to find a match or something like that, so you make these kinds of videos that look like something interesting is happening.

6 Likes

It’s the latest season of AFV!

1 Like

eat an oatie bar - you’ll be fine

2 Likes

It’s Rabbits. The door is now open.

2 Likes

Sounds like the some of the of digital encoding methods used to send data on shortwave radio. Vaguely familiar, but I’m not able to identify the mode, if it is even a ham radio digimode. Could be some custom encoding using the same techniques. Wish I understood that side of things beyond ‘download program, connect radio, make bloops’.

2 Likes

<pedant>Except unlike a numbers station with truly anonymous listeners, the viewers of these videos and their IPs are all known to YouTube.</pedant>

7 Likes

I don’t know what these are, but it reminds me of my Live Photo Retrospectives (whenever I copy over photos from my phone I put one of these things together): walkswithdave — Another phone to computer transfer, another Live...

3 Likes

It sounds more like very early space age telemetry, where it cycles though a series of instrument readings, and the voltage from the instrument varies the pitch. (Naturally it quickly became a cliche in movies and TV like spinning tape drives and “computer font”.)

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s some form of MFSK. It has a definite sync tone and most of the tones are in one part of the passband, which would be the case if it’s only using one part of the character set, similar to how in ASCII, all the letters are in the same part of the set (65-90 for uppercase, 97-122 for lower). It’s definitely a set of discrete tones, as seen in the spectrum waterfall display here:
weird_signal

That’s quite similar to the JT6M waterfall here: JT6M - Signal Identification Wiki

I’ve probably spent way too much time trying to figure this out for someone who has little knowledge of digital encoding though.

ETA: Looks like I was right. It is 128 tone MFSK sending ASCII. The low tones are spaces and higher tones are alphabet characters. Text is the start of the Wikipedia articles for the topic in the description. Some fellow hams on Reddit have figured that out: https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/mxf34z/what_is_this_mode/

Still doesn’t make any sense why the videos exist, though!

20 Likes

Aces, Charles!

1 Like

It’s all Winnie’s fault.

1 Like

My take away is that steak needs to be well rested and 3Dglasses aint gonna help

2 Likes

Are the beeps in morse code?

Great. You’ve just activated 23 sleeper agents among Boing Boing’s readership.

5 Likes

Interesting-- I initially thought “this doesn’t warrant any serious investigation”, but delving into it reveals a layer beyond just randomness.

Sometimes trying to figure out a puzzle is its own reward, even if it turns out there’s no solution. The effort is the game.

3 Likes