What becomes of various types of automobile if you try to run them over a huge pit in a soft-body physics simulator

WHO ROUSES ME FROM… oh, wait.

5 Likes

A lot of cars almost made it across the hole, so I wonder if the video creator tried different speeds until they got precisely that result.

4 Likes

It looks like cats that rely on ground effects (i.e., as they speed up, the aerodynamics of the frame ‘suck’ the car down onto the pavement to give better traction) fared worse. Probably they got ‘sucked’ down and, well, there was this pit…

3 Likes

Yes, something like that.

14 Likes

1 Like

This actually happened to my brother back in the early '00s. IIRC, he was some sort of Z, the pit was 8 feet wide, and he was doing ~70mph. The roadwork company didn’t put up a second set of barricades while moving a first set further up the road…then decided to take a break. Brother blew right by, crested a small hill, and hit the pit. Clipped all 4 wheels and spun out into a corn field, the entire undercarriage was shifted back about 6 inches. Wish I still had pics, it was kind of amazing he didn’t die.

Got a nice settlement from the company, but many years later his back is still messed up.

6 Likes
  1. After the Bugatti crashes, there’s smoke coming out of the… trunk?

Steam from the front mounted radiators.
https://www.bugatti.com/models/veyron-models/technology/

3 Likes

i knew what was going to happen but could not turn away. after a minute i was making bets with myself whether a car would make it. felt bad for all the invisible occupants. hated this video in its entirety. would watch again. 3 stars.

1 Like

Something like…

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.