What becomes of various types of automobile if you try to run them over a huge pit in a soft-body physics simulator

Originally published at: What becomes of various types of automobile if you try to run them over a huge pit in a soft-body physics simulator | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Thoughts:

1. I guess you need speed AND a suspension to make it.
  2. Is this a stealth Cybertruck ad?
  3. The bridge made by the semi tractor was beautiful.
  4. After the Bugatti crashes, there’s smoke coming out of the… trunk?
9 Likes
7 Likes

I enjoy these as well. Except for the cars vs. giant ramps one. That’s literally a recurring nightmare for me, going across some super high bridge and being flung out into the air (but I still watch them because… ya know).

7 Likes

Beware of square pits in roadways.

5 Likes

No forklift? I am disappoint.

4 Likes

I like how everyone uninjured enough to get out the front door of the bendy bus can still hobble to their destination, but the Mercedes jackass-wagen ends up in the pit. This is as it should be.

6 Likes

Yeah, if you like beam.ng videos (and judging by the frequency they come up here, you do), you need to watch Griffin McElroy and Nick Robinson slowly lose their minds and give in to cosmic horror through dicking about in it.

1 Like

I am really surprised which ones made it. The Mustang is not the lightest of the bunch and the Cybertruck is for sure not. Not to mention the bus probably would have if it wasn’t a double.

2 Likes

Now I’d like to see real cars for a comparison. Y’know, to test the accuracy of the model: science!

5 Likes

There really should be a warning sign there.

12 Likes

Or, IRL: Bay Bridge Collapse in Great Quake of 89 - YouTube

1 Like

Vaguely wonder how many physics issues were factored into this soft body physic simulator. For instance were aerodynamics part of the simulation? That is, maybe some of these models would’ve more likely “survived” if they were run in at closer to their top rated speed. At least we may be sure(?) that front/rear wheel drive would’ve been part of the simulation for if they could get a powered purchase on the landing lip of the pit? Thankfully, at least the exhaust piping tearing off was lovingly simulated. heh.

4 Likes
4 Likes

The video in Mindysan33’s comment shows the view from above, revealing the cybertruck went around, not over the hole. The driver, a young Jim Kirk, is believed to have reprogrammed the parameters of the simulation to enable his survival.

7 Likes

Maybe the township could put up some blinking lights.

5 Likes

9 Likes

I think the end results tend to differ based on whether you’re on a Mission from God or whether you’re an Illinois Nazi:

9 Likes

It’s the cop shocks.

6 Likes

The Mustang must not have been driving away from a Cars and Coffee since it didn’t crash. I suppose if there were a crowd of spectators at the bottom of the pit, it would have headed straight down there to attack them.

1 Like