What do you want to do with your life?

You should be a really cool fish! Like a marlin or a grouper or a red-lipped batfish!

9 Likes

I think I would like toxic nudibranch.

16 Likes

Or a mantis shrimp!

7 Likes

I did a dual Classics/Phil. undergrad, did a Classics MA, then started Classics a PhD at UT. Fear of job scarcity and quality (and crap pay) and especially having kids made me give it up. Iā€™m programming now and am also locked in this career until the kids are through college.

5 Likes

I dropped out of my doctoral program during the first semester when it was clear that there would almost be no chance of working in my field (Buddhist Studies) when I was done and that it would cost me over $100K to get the degree (plus the normal expenses of life). So I went back to full-time in my tech job.

9 Likes

So when I get a boat, we can sail past Alaska,and have a fuckinā€™ Big Year!?

(The movie was alright, the book was better)

3 Likes

I did a religious studies minor and thought about trying to do Buddhist Studies at UW since I did some Sanskrit as an undergrad and loved the whole thing, but stuck with the Greeks. Still go to a Gelug temple here, but Iā€™m happy as a lay person, being a scholarā€™s a lot of work.

1 Like

UW Seattle or UW Madison? :slightly_smiling:

Gelugā€™sā€¦putting the church back into Buddhism! I was always more partial to Nyingma folks.

2 Likes

Oh Hell yeah! I really liked the movie. Did you hear about Noah Stryckerā€™s International Big Year in 2015? Massive.

Yeah, they can be a little ā€¦Jesusyā€¦ sometimes, I take it with a grain of salt and am pretty lax (Iā€™d go to the Zen temple, but theyā€™re, uh, weird, here). Iā€™m partial to memorizing lists and the analytic side of the Gelugpas. Thereā€™s a really lovely Nyingma temple I visit sometimes, and I like their lama (we all went out to do life releases of animals before).

2 Likes

also want to build better props for hedgehog photos
make it to Panama
also be a fish
not hog BBS thread as much

10 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot of places I want to see. I also would like to get involved in an organization that helps humanity. Maybe MSF, or the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, or something like that.

When I was a little kid I wanted to be a hermit crab. Turns out I grew up to just be a hermit.

16 Likes

When I was 6 I got one of those What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up worksheets and filled it out. Believe it or not, my answer was ā€œa singer and a momā€. So thatā€™s done.

But seriously, it will soon be time to stop putting other family members first (older AND young generations) and Iā€™m just starting the process of figuring out what will be next. Iā€™m pretty certain it will NOT be in Chicago, and have a few potential outlines sketched out, but otherwise Iā€™m clueless.

Does anyone ever really grow up?

19 Likes

I wanted to be a saxophonist and a dad. Never figured out how to do the second one.

(If I donā€™t get sarcastic comments to that, its one demerit for each of you)

5 Likes

I think becoming an astronaut is going to be a bit beyond me now, and Iā€™m glad my early plan of becoming a fighter pilot never happened. So now pretty much 18 years of proving for and bringing up Jr. and paying off our ludicrous mortgage, then weā€™ll see.

Unless we win the lottery.

Thatā€™s probably not positive enough, is it? Sorry, all I got.

7 Likes

You know, you donā€™t have to be an astronaut to explore. I hear the sea is pretty outrageous. And waaay cheaper.

6 Likes

The galaxy full of those boring single biome planets anyway. Weā€™ve got a nice diverse mix here on earth.

4 Likes

Maybe Iā€™ll join the French Foreign Legion. That sounds like a laugh.

3 Likes

And neat looking hats.

Hay, @OtherMichael, what are you gonna do with your life? @popobawa4u I expect an answer from you as well.

3 Likes

Oh, the other thing Iā€™m going to do with my life is really understand Lisp. Iā€™ve played with it, but I donā€™t get it. C is still the paradigm in my head (at least BASIC is gone, now).

6 Likes

My dad played saxophone! Kismet.

1 Like