What does it mean to fan—or fangirl?

Originally published at: What does it mean to fan—or fangirl? | Boing Boing

1 Like

I’m fangirling right now! #scorpia4life

10 Likes

My extremely kawaii colleague A. once came back from a trip home very excited.

“Guys, guys, you’ll never guess who I saw at the airport in LA! [successful indie filmmaker]!”

We all looked at her, and finally someone said: “A., you do realize that [successful indie filmmaker]'s office is two flights up, on the top floor of this building?”

She gulped and said “Oh my God. Well then, I guess it’s just as well that I didn’t fangirl all over him.”

4 Likes

I am assuming that is not a reference to boysclub breaking early computer game journalist Scorpia from Computer Gaming World? It would make me so happy if it was…but surely it is something the kids today love

1 Like

:smile: I was referencing She-Ra and the Princesses of Power; an excellent animated show on Netflix.

6 Likes

I’ve never really given it much thought, but for me, “fanboy” has always had connotations of cynicism, gatekeeping and general toxicity, whereas “fangirl” is about those with genuine, undisguised pleasure with something. I never think of myself as a fanboy, but when I’m feeling Kermit the frog arm-flailing excited about a work or creator, I do think of myself as “fangirling” over it/them.

Toxic masculinity (nerd edition) strike again.

3 Likes

Cool! I have been meaning to watch it for a while. I guess it’s time!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.