What Does The GOP Ideal World Look Like?

I’ve been arguing for a while that the GOP membership aren’t really conservatives anymore. Instead, they’re reactionaries, who have been defining themselves by what they’re against for a generation-plus at this point, not what they’re for.

Having said this recently to an associate of mine, he snarked that they were “for” the social environment of the American 1950s and the economic and political environment of the European 1650s.

But that got me pondering if the GOP even has an ideal at which point they’d go, “We’re satisfied,” and what that society would look like?

14 Likes

Hell on earth?

Definitely the Leave It To Beaver/Father Knows Best/Andy Griffith TV social environment of the 1950’s…

11 Likes

Agree with @TobinL, Hell on Earth, but in the name of JAYSUS!!! All white people with a few at the top and everyone else at the bottom. If there are are non-white people, they are ignored.

7 Likes

10 Likes

Yes, with the GOP demons eternally pitchforking non-whites and anybody else who isn’t welcome in Mayberry.

Or a Lands End catalog from the 1980’s.

7 Likes

Being for the status quo ante is pretty much the dictionary definition of reactionary.

8 Likes

Not really sure, but I’m damn sure there’s no room for my family in it.

15 Likes

Nor mine. Or really anybody else’s aside from the nobility.

15 Likes

It’s Mar-a-Lago’s all the way down.

11 Likes

It’s surely affected by my location, but I get the impression that the south before the civil war is basically what they would prefer, except with modern technology.

They would be OK with having non-white people around, only as long as they are slaves, and subservient to any white person. I also expect they would like Christianity to be enforced under penalty of death.

Someone up-thread said hell-on-earth? Yeah, that pretty well describes it.

17 Likes

I think the GOP want a US that is competitive with China. That means a large workforce with little education and depressed wages, working too many hours with too little labour protection to organise effective collective action.

17 Likes

No or few cities. Agrarian economy. Education systen geared towards…

Oh wait. I know exactly what it would look like.

More or less.

20 Likes

This image of Sao Paulo kinda sums it up for me:

Rich people (WASPs only, though) living in heavily guarded luxury enclaves surrounded by the destitute masses. This image needs more dead old people and dead babies in the streets of the favela to be complete, though.

34 Likes

Be perfectly fine with taking that away from them. They have shown that having access to that much information is too much for them. Better they live in ignorance away from the rest of us.

Pretty much.

11 Likes

Or perhaps

18 Likes

I’m going with the ‘40k hypothesis’:

“To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.”

11 Likes

I guess they believe in a strictly hierarchical economy with a large foundation of work slaves, but do the rich have to live near (or even - gasp! - with) the poor?

8 Likes

When Infinite first came out, people on the right were unironically reposting some of the game’s promotional propaganda art as inspirational material, so… yeah, basically.

15 Likes

I missed that! Got any good examples? I want to show my friend the folklorist. He’s not at all into gaming but would probably find that fascinating.

3 Likes

Bonus “Because Of Course It’s Fox News” edition:

(Bonus bonus, of course the segment aping Infinite’s logo is all about immigration.)

18 Likes