What Does The GOP Ideal World Look Like?

I think The Purge is a GOP wet dream.

12 Likes

If you ask they’ll probably say they want it to look like this

But secretly they’re mostly picturing this

19 Likes

Even speaking as a deep red Northern England refisenik, that Mustang? 10/10, would DD.

4 Likes

That’s a very good question! I always lay on the pressure for reactionaries and authoritarians to explain just WTF culture they think they are conserving. Hardly anyone backs it up with anything beyond vague platitudes. I am confident that most of them really don’t have many ideas, but find their dissatisfaction a great excuse to sabotage the efforts of others who they don’t like or understand. In such a climate people are afraid to stick their neck out, so critique remains tribal and superficial. And it is simply easier to destroy than to create.

Tangentially, I think that people casually using the term “GOP” without clear ironic intent only serves to popularly legitimize the Republicant worldview, even if that effect is unintentional.

4 Likes

Like a polar bear eating plain rice in a blizzard.

9 Likes

20 Likes

Why is St. Ronnie driving a car with retired Michigan plates?

4 Likes

I have a hunch Republicans created that particular meme since the Obama campaign logo is in the boot treads.

8 Likes

I actually started writing a story with this idea in mind - near future SF.

I think that it would be driven largely by libertarian principles, freemarket economics and state’s rights. I think you’d have a lot less government spending, but that what spending there is would go to private, for profit companies handling traditionally government function; education, law enforcement, public safety, prison, roads/bridges and other public works, etc. Taxes would become fees, resulting in a regressive system for funding public works. Obviously there would be a lot less regulation for all industries, and a lot of externalized costs to health and environment. Depression of wages and worker protections, and “privatization” of social safety nets (mostly coming from church-based programs). And while many ideas of libertarianism would reign, religious “freedom” would mean state-established religion, and the resurgence of Blue Laws and imposed morality.

Sadly, what I’ve realized is that my near-future SF novel, if I ever get around to writing it, is more likely to be in the genre of people’s history.

8 Likes

Well spotted…

Over-hasty Google.

2 Likes

What Does The GOP Ideal World Look Like?

9 Likes

pretty much Hell on Earth for anyone who wants mankind to move forward.

8 Likes

8 Likes

I dunno, man. They look kinda tanned. :confused:

4 Likes

I’ve seen that a hundred times, but only just noticed the Union soldier is crying. The only other person crying it the evil SCOTUS judge. He’s not on the side with all the heathens, but I dunno, man…

Also, the baby being held by the women under the “Rising Generation” is captioned, “Disabled Child.” Interesting touch juxtaposed with the pregnant woman on Satan’s side.

8 Likes

Let’s be honest here–under the TGOP’s ideal, the only hope that that disabled child has for a good life is being healed by the touch of the zombie god.

11 Likes

10 Likes

“All is darkness and pain. Embrace your doom, insignificant mortals.”

12 Likes

At his Supreme Court hearing yesterday Gorsuch refused to answer direct questions about the Obergefell v. Hodges decision, and while he called it “settled law” he added ““There’s ongoing litigation about its impact and its application.”

That would include a current case going before the Texas Supreme Court that could allow the state to treat same-sex marriages as inferior, and in fact a member of that court has already decided the state should have that power.

So there’s an aspect of the “ideal world”: everybody’s equal but some are more equal than others.

10 Likes

These are some of the factors I cannot readily reconcile. It would make more sense if USians acknowledged the differences between economic and social conservatism, but most I speak to apparently do not. Or perhaps they hope that their contradictions will not be examined.

As a communist anarcho-syndicalist, I like that - in the abstract - libertarianism can enable people to move past coercive imposed government towards establishing voluntary systems. After all, respecting personal freedom suggests that people are free to organize into groups as well. Yet the tea-baggers I have spoken to seem to believe in the some old bullshit, that patriotism and Christianity are somehow monopolies of association which they claim are not collectivist… “just because”.

8 Likes