What Does The GOP Ideal World Look Like?

If you’re looking for introspection and analysis from Tea Party types (much less “Conservatives”), I sincerely doubt you’re going to get below skin-deep.

6 Likes

No, simply demanding clarity and accountability from people who profess to be making decisions and enforcing norms which affect others. I am not naive enough to expect it, but I can push hard enough to “change the way they do business”.

2 Likes

I know, right? Why do folks who hate the party call it grand?

I propose ROP - revolting, reactionary, rapey old party.

2 Likes

This phenomenon is really easy to understand: as soon as a person begins to do serious introspection, they start to evolve away from being an ignorant, backwards arsehole.

8 Likes

Reminds me of an idea I had to prevent ROP paradise; LSD in the water supply.

1 Like

That sounds like a waste of a valuable resource. The acid, I mean, not the intended recipients.

1 Like

This is closest to the reality. Their ideals go back to post-war 50s reconstruction, suburban ‘bliss’, with affluent neighborhoods flush with victory and the assurance of American military strength, a rush of new jobs, men in crisp suits, housewives in pearls making dinner, kids going to excellent schools, and the government taking a hands-off approach to everyone’s lives.

8 Likes

Just with none of the actual economic policy that existed at the time.

10 Likes

Your faith is weak, child. Though liberal academia has done its best to distort the record, the 50s were an objectivist paradise as a matter of economic policy.

This can be clearly and decisively demonstrated by reasons. And um; look behind you! A welfare queen!

9 Likes

I’ve always been fond of this idyllic American family, as documented by someone who definitely wasn’t either a snarky junior employee just trying to see what he could get past the boss; or an embittered alcoholic, or both:

“These boys greet their dad as though they are genuinely glad to see him; as though they have really missed being away from him during the day and are anxious to talk to him. This is the time for pleasant discussion, thoroughly relaxed. They don’t pick this time of the day to spring unpleasant surprises on dad.”

Definitely nobody writing that script with one hand while supporting the chip on their shoulder with the other. The overt sexism is more egregious, but also more or less expected, so that line gets the nod for subtext-of-deep-unhappiness.

2 Likes

There’s a greatly enhanced version of this.

4 Likes

…except for the rampant conformism directed towards destroying those who didn’t choose their capitalist, nuclear family, consumerist, imperialist “ideals”. If you match the puppeteers movements, it’s almost as if they aren’t there!

4 Likes

Without any of the actual historical reality of the 1950s.

8 Likes

Well, of course not! Corporations can’t possibly pay a 50%+ tax rate to support takers! /s

8 Likes

I should probably give this some serious thought but it’s too upsetting.

1 Like

Hey, the war’s been won and the interstate has been built, so why does the government need any more money?

5 Likes

Oh, for some stupid liberal agenda. Feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and imprisoned, stupid liberal things like that. /s

7 Likes

With some confidence, I could say it would be a world where we here could not engage in free discourse.

4 Likes

But the use of any currency profits those who coin and control it. If the state is not compatible with this “liberal agenda”, their money may never achieve it. They play a large role in the actual measure of material wealth, conceptual value, incentive, and act as arbiters of those transactions.

People need to accept that use of the state’s money is seen as actively counter-productive by some. Even if you happen to disagree.

Please stop trying to derail the thread. Make a new topic if you feel this strongly about it, but here we’re talking about what the nightmarish reality the members of the Republican Party seem to have as an ideal, not discussions on the social construct of currency.

9 Likes