What English-language courtroom dramas sounds like to Swedes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/10/what-english-language-courtroo.html

3 Likes

I enjoyed that way more than I should have.

3 Likes

Good question: Why AM I not at home with my mammals watch razeball?! (2:38)

12 Likes

Also reminiscent of “Nordamericano” from Armando Ianucci’s “Clinton: His Struggle Wth Dirt”

2 Likes

I confess, it was me. I put the ram in the ramalamadingdong. And I’d do it again!!!

4 Likes

Holy moley…roly poly foley goalie…

WTF is the concept of this show?

1 Like

I was trying hard to make a joke, but my mouth can’t stop hanging open long enough.

Erection, your onion!

4 Likes

Ok, that was amusing but that plot twist at the end of part two! Glad I managed to stick around to the end :joy:

So…is the blackface supposed to be part of the joke?

Oh no. No no. That’s not black face. His face is just black because he goes down the chimneys. It’s not racist at all. You Americans are the racists for making everything about race.

2 Likes

Are we sure that this isn’t a lost episode of Bad Lip Reading?

1 Like

This is payback for the Swedish Chef.

12 Likes

More than anything else it reminded me of the “jive” scene from Airplane.

What? Funny you should ask; yes, in fact I am horrible. Ooh, excuse me a moment.

OK, I’m back. I had to check my privilege. Anyway, what I was thinking going in was that it would be like an experience some friends of mine (fellow Americans) had some years back on an extended backpacking tour through Asia. They were in a not-so-touristy part of Malaysia, where they were clearly a rare sight and drew some stares. Some school kids on a bus, after watching them speak English to each other for a while, did their imitation of what it sounded like to them. It involved saying something like “MWAH! MWAH! MWAH!”, opening your mouth really wide. Like an exaggerated fake kiss.

My friends experienced a moment of cultural immersion, joining the locals in laughing at the foreigners. It was a peak experience of their trip.

1 Like

Wait. What? What’s the context? At first I thought it was a Swedish production that just happened to be a sleepy-small-Southern-town courtroom and crime drama, and it was sort of accidentally funny, like reading free Dan Brown wannabe* thrillers on the Kindle store, but seemed basically just B-movie level. Then it got funnier and funner, openly absurd. I was laughing to hard to sit through all of it, but …

What? Swedish people speaking in broad Southern U.S. voices is pretty funny, no matter the context.

“I’m gonna take my snaps!”

But still –

WHAT?!

• Hey, they have role models, even if you don’t share them.

He’s no Morgan Freeman…

I don’t know about anyone else but I’m ready to cut through the jam and get to the joint.

1 Like

Maybe i’m missing the joke because i did not find it amusing in any way.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I was searching for this last week, fruitlessly!

For some reason, in the German version of The Muppet Show, the Swedish Chef was Danish.

2 Likes

Well…

3 Likes