What Happened on 23rd Street

That colorizing system looks like it adds chromatic aberration artifacts: phantom colors around transitions between bright and dark. Very annoying.

I have turned off all frame interpolation on my TVs for one reason: They are horrible at dealing with arrays of similar shapes. The arrays of lights in the set of “Patriot Act” are the perfect storm, always causing jumps as the algorithm gets confused about which light it is tracking. Until AI starts working on this problem, it seems like a solution in search of a problem.

I have never seen any problem with interpolating faces or any of the recognizable shapes that AI is supposed to help interpolate.

Strangely, this was the next article in my RSS feed:

3 Likes

Enhance? Uncrop is where it’s at.

(Which is a thing, apparently. For certain use cases/parameters, but still…)

2 Likes

It reminded me very much of the first colour TV we had, where red items were oddly offset to one side, and very fuzzy - this is still far better quality than early 625 line colour TV, though.

Maybe the next thing to tackle, is the “throbbing” effect as the brightness level changes, cycling brighter and then resetting. Hard to guess if that was present in the original or if its an unintended side effect of all the other things.

Ugh those features are awful. I also turn them all off, but most other people don’t because they’re on by default, so other peoples’ TVs make me vaguely seasick now.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.