What Happened on 23rd Street

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/25/what-happened-on-23rd-street.html

5 Likes

Totally off subject (and hopefully I’ll learn something new today), but I’ll never understand Youtube’s horrible choice of covering up the end of videos with their obnoxious overlays. I’m assuming it’s an option the video creator chooses to enable, but is there ANY way to disable it? Is so, someone please enlighten me.

16 Likes

is there ANY way to disable it? Is so, someone please enlighten me.

Gotta use an adblocker, I’m afraid.

https://www.h3xed.com/web-and-internet/how-to-block-youtube-video-end-screens-overlays-and-subscribe-thumbnail-at-end-of-video

8 Likes

23 Skidoo!

8 Likes

So that’s what they’re hiding under their skirts!

3 Likes

Thanks! I can’t believe it’s not something as simple as disabling annotations. It’s really annoying when viewing video on mobile. :expressionless:

1 Like

Yikes! This is one case where AI “enhancement” is worse than the original. It’s still shaky, but in a seasick-inducing waviness sort of way. Surfaces have been smoothed out to the point of ridiculousness. And the color looks like it was powder-coated by people with bad eyesight.

I’ll stick with the original, thanks.

9 Likes

…a glimpse of stocking…

2 Likes

Well, this sent me down a pleasant YouTube rabbit hole. About a year ago I ran across a 4K upscaled Lumiere film, but it looks like everyone’s doing this now.

2 Likes

I’ll be in my bunk…

6 Likes

Now, God knows, anything goes!

2 Likes

2 Likes

I haven’t been on Boingboing for a long time, but when did using an ad-blocker become a regrettable decision? I remember the 90s when pop-up ads often made web sites literally unusable, not just an annoyance, when 9600 baud modems were how the internet was generally accessed. The arguments about how advertising sponsors creators weren’t convincing then, and they are not now. The industry will take advantage, exploit any opportunities, making good-intentioned and good-willed efforts rather meaningless.
My answer to the question wouldn’t be apologetically telling how exactly to use adblockers for specific content, but how to use adblockers that should already be installed, the proactive attempts to prevent the web from becoming utterly unusable. After my experience in the 90s I will never apologize for using an ad-blocker or recommending to others. Is it making your work difficult on the web? Then get off the web.

3 Likes

May I re-punctuate that?

one case where “AI” enhancement is worse

Machine Learning is not Artificial Intelligence.

I get that reference!

I really like seeing such old clips like this one. The humanity of the woman whose dress blew up was sweet, as she laughed after it happened.

The AI enhancements make the clip more realistic and lifelike. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I understand this question.

I call too obvious set up…made to look spontaneous but is anything but…

1 Like

From the post…

The film was presented as a slice of life, but it was scripted,

The laugh was an atypical reaction written to make it seem like this is an amusing thing that happens to women on the street. It’s not. This is just another publicity stunt or marketing tactic created by men for a target audience.

6 Likes

Thomas A. Edison; 21Aug1901

2 Likes