What happened to Veronica Lake? The screen goddess ended up working in a dive bar

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/19/what-happened-to-veronica-lake-the-screen-goddess-ended-up-working-in-a-dive-bar.html

8 Likes

translation: she was a woman who wanted to be treated with basic respect… :rage:

veronica lake ren clair GIF by Maudit

27 Likes

There’s also an episode of the wonderful podcast You Must Remember This all about Lake .

10 Likes

Well shit, that’s pretty sad. I loved her in Sullivan’s Travels. I knew her life was pretty messed up even when she was in Hollywood, but I had no idea her career was cut so short, nor that she died so young. A pretty common story, I imagine, even with “stars.”

Or she just said “no” to a particular man in Hollywood. (Just thinking of the careers of various women who successfully avoided the clutches of Harvey Weinstein, and how all it took was him labeling them “difficult”.)

15 Likes
8 Likes

Also, the inspiration for Jessica Rabbit !

6 Likes

More than just asking Lake to modify her hairstyle, she did this photo.

10 Likes

Yipes! That happened to someone at the airplane factory where my grandfather worked. (Her hair was caught in a different part, though - no cover over the belt on the drill press)

4 Likes

Great to see such a little known star still getting talked about. I’ve loved her and her strange movies and career since i first stumbled over some images of her on some random newgroups back in the day. I used to run a fan website back in the early 2000’s and recently rebooted it from the old code
(veronicalake .co.uk) and am working on something much more visual for relaunch later this year.

7 Likes

I’ve totally missed this one.
I’m a bad Sparks fan. BAD BAD

4 Likes

I only became aware of them like 6 months ago and I find that they just continue to amuse and delight every time I come across them. It’s pop but just off kilter enough to stand out from the crowd.

1 Like

Naomi Watts just now on Good Morning America

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.