Penny Marshall, RIP

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/18/penny-marshall-rip.html

7 Likes

the only thing i’m missing out of this is the credit scene from their place in california, when they run down the steps and plant kisses on the cardboard cutouts of the beatles.

5 Likes

One of the few talents that could hold a candle to greats like Lucille Ball.

I still hate the idea of milk & Pepsi, though.

13 Likes

She had impeccable comic timing as both an actor and director. And despite her famously grumpy persona (Industry people loved doing impressions of her) her kindness and compassion for her characters shone through in her work.

9 Likes

Not Laverne!!!

RIP to one of my favorite women in Hollywood.

12 Likes

Milk & Pepsi isn’t terrible but it’s certainly weird. I think it’s more palatable if you enjoy cream sodas.

2 Likes

She first appeared on TV in some brief appearances on the “The Odd Couple” TV series. I think she played Oscar Madison’s secretary/assistant.

7 Likes

75 is too goddamn young.

5 Likes

no worse than your ice-cream melting in your root beer float

5 Likes

Myrna . . . !

4 Likes

Keep’em laughing Penny!

What is a schlemiel and schlimazel?

Schlemiel and Schlimazel are two Yiddish terms often used in a comical, but sometimes biting sense of humor. A Schlemiel is an inept clumsy person and a Schlimazel is a very unlucky person. There’s a Yiddish saying that translates to a funny way of explaining them both.

13 Likes

Was that the episode where her character boyfriend, Sheldn (Rob Reiner) strays and meets “Two hundred girls???!” on a singles cruise?

3 Likes

@lava

It’s most likely the Pepsi. I had a freebie for a bottled one last week and most definitely did not enjoy it.

I love floats, though.

5 Likes

I guess I’m in a distinct minority in thinking that Lavern and Shirley was utter dreck. And so was Happy Days (after the first season, which was sort of OK). While I’m at it, I loathed Three’s Company.

1 Like

Aw fuck! She was a large chunk my childhood!

I was such a fan of that show that me and my closest fried actually cosplayed Laverne And Shirley when we were kids. (I had to have been around 8)

(I’m sure our parents were a bit … unsure of that whole thing as we were boys)

We shot our own fan film of L&S but we made them witches as … well we had camera tricks to do!

8 Likes

Loved her as Director on film ‘Awakenings’.

Thank your for your work and efforts Penny.

6 Likes

She was also a decent director

1988 Big
1990 Awakenings Also executive producer
1992 A League of Their Own Also executive producer
1994 Renaissance Man Also executive producer
1996 The Preacher’s Wife
2001 Riding in Cars with Boys
8 Likes

I remember seeing that for free at college as part of a test audience. Great understated Robin Williams. DeNiro not quite hamming it up, but cutting loose.

4 Likes

No mention of Lenny and the Squigtones?!?!?!

5 Likes

This news makes me feel sad and also kind of old.

I’ve been reading some funny stuff about Marshall’s friendship with Carrie Fisher.

5 Likes