Penny Marshall, RIP

Also a small but recurring character (nurse neighbor) on The Mary Tyler Moore Show:

After playing a patron of a “singles bar” earlier in the series:

And a bit part on an episode of The Bob Newhart Show (stewardess):

4 Likes

My favorite bit of hers was when she was on the Simpsons:

Such inspired casting.

6 Likes

LOL omfg I totally remember when The Simpsons was good several decades ago!

2 Likes

I’ll give you Three’s Company as dreck, but you’re way to harsh on L&S. No show with the talent of Penny Marshall, Michael McKean and David Lander can be categorized as such. Maybe not to your taste. Definitely goofy. But hardly dreck. I fondly recall many hours as a teenager after school watching syndicated L&S episodes on television.

1 Like

Yep…

Ya are Blanche, ya are in the minority!

Maybe it’s formulaic, situational comedy from the late 70’s and 80’s that’s not to your taste?

2 Likes
2 Likes

I knew I’d get push-back on this :wink: I just did not think that Cindy and Penny were very good at physical comedy, closer to I Married Joan than I Love Lucy. Mind you, I was born in 1954 so I was extremely familiar with sticoms, being completely addicted to TV. Gilligan’s Island was never actually never funny, but I watched it all the time. I guess I did get tired of the formulaic part of the things.

[oh and that line from Baby Jane is one I quote constantly]

1 Like

Of course; it’s people reminiscing about Penny Marshall because she just passed… and your input was to say how you personally don’t care for the vehicle that first made her famous.

*shrugs

Born in '75, I grew up on sitcoms in syndication in the 80’s; so all three of those aforementioned shows hold much fond nostalgia for me… even though I can’t bring myself to watch most stuff that would be considered their contemporary equivalent nowadays.

That Marshall went on to become such a celebrated director of some of my favorite films just adds another layer to my already high regard for her.

It’s the best line in the whole film!

:smiley:

3 Likes

Penny Marshall is, for some reason, the kind of person I never thought would die. Why would she? I guess I was wrong.

Hard to believe that Rip Torn, who I didn’t realize was still alive, outlived Penny Marshall.

Also, when Rip Torn dies it’s going to be strange seeing RIP Rip Torn.

1 Like

A cream soda is vanilla flavor. An egg cream is chocolate flavor. These things go better with milk than cola flavor, esp. the weak-ass pseudo-cola flavor in Pepsi.

the amount of talent in that clip is pretty staggering. they were so young and clearly talented then, but to think about where both Penny Marshall and Michael McKean have gone since then, just wow.

1 Like

Uh… unless you know something I don’t, Michael McKean is still alive and well. He just had a cameo on The Good Place not too long ago.

2 Likes

oh jeez no, sorry – pre-coffee typos strike again. i meant where they went since then. both so accomplished, turning in amazing work… you know, that sort of thing. yes, i know michael mckean is still very much alive – i’m working my way through Better Call Saul, and omg he’s so good.

3 Likes

Ah, I see.

Yes, they both have been very successful, and McKean’s acting is amazing.

Oh dear, you’re not caught up to current?

1 Like

netflicks gets them a season late, so we JUST finished season… 2? 3?

anyway, it’s tragically looking like curtains for chuck mcgill (umm, unfortunate pun intended, i guess). i believe that’s as current as i can be at this point.

1 Like

Milk & Pepsi wasn’t bad, from what I can recall from my childhood. And I got the idea to try it from Laverne & Shirley.

She was an awesome person. When my wife found out, she told me her childhood is now dead. I reminded her that we still had Shatner. She told me to shut my whore mouth.

2 Likes

Tell your wife that Shatner is safe until they give him a guest spot on The Big Bang Theory, so he can just ride it out.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.