What happens when your child decides to go punk

Obligatory:

3 Likes

I got you. If my hypothetical son would come home as a punk, I´d introduce him to some old late 1970s, early 1980s garagepunk and open some shitty, cheap canned beers with him.

5 Likes

hugs Glad you found yourself, Franko. Indeed, you’re far braver than me, just a straight white kid on the cross country team in a conservative small town. Everyone on the team got one (left ear, for the reasons you pointed out) so it wasn’t like I went it alone, either.

Things did finally change for the better. And I’ll be fucked if I let them drag us back to the time when you had to hide yourself.

9 Likes

I used that same spray-on hair dye to be a punk for Halloween in the fourth grade. mom took me to the costume shop and got it and one of these things in aqua

there were safety pins, pretty sure we ripped an old shit and put them through. my neighbors’ church organized a trick-or-treat in the old folks home and none of them understood what I was supposed to be.

a few years after that, it came up that mom and her boyfriend had already discussed that it would be ok if I got an earring when I was old enough, which basically subverted any rebellious phase I might have had. never got one. although my mom disliked that I grew my hair long in highschool, for some reason. no big blow-up. it was her generation’s thing after all. then in college I immediately shaved the sides and dyed it purple. again, dislike, but grudging acceptence.

I liked the video, it showed the adults punk-panicking but that the kid was alright.

3 Likes

Thanks to @Mindysan33 for the past reminder about this clip…

6 Likes

10 Likes

Just in time for me to hit my teens during the 90’s punk revival. Rancid, NOFX, Descendents, Bikini Kill, Sublime, and a whole bunch of shitty ska punk bands made up my early music collection.

8 Likes

This doesn’t look like it’s going to be any good…

angry music video GIF by Ice Nine Kills

3 Likes

Same with me! I came to it a bit on the later end of my teens years (it took me a long time to bust out of my awkward nerd phase), but going to punk shows in the late 90s is a core memory for me and my brother. The best was ending up backstage at a NOFX show.

4 Likes

I’m kind of curious to see Maisie Williams as Jordan, but I can take or leave the rest of it.

3 Likes

Me too, actually. I love her and I love Jordan (RIP)!

4 Likes

Kid says “I wanna go punk!” Me: “Ah, old school, a classic!”

5 Likes

aww, thanks! i’m not brave, though. everyone coming out deals with a lot of similar things (or much worse) than i had to deal with. not to disregard how emotionally hard it was for me at the time, but i had it pretty easy, actually – by the time i finally came out to the first people, they were more or less along the lines of “yes, we know – it’s about time you said it!” haha

4 Likes

Speaking of, sad news today

3 Likes

In the dead celebrity thread.

1 Like

I couldn’t help reading that as drag-punk

7 Likes

‘They’re selling hippy wigs in Woolworths’

2 Likes

There were still hippies everywhere in the '80s

Punk was a very complicated way of rebelling against several different things at once

5 Likes

Strangely enough I was a punk nursery worker in 1987.

This was in the UK in the glory days of the Community Program - a scheme for the long term unemployed that actually paid a real wage to do part time community work. It tended to attract a certain demographic (apart from that one, really out of place, Evangelical Christian guy). Fun times.

6 Likes

Excellent!

I mean… yeah… But many punks saw hippies as problematic. Especially political punks, who thought that the hippies were kind of dropped out failures.

Very punk rock.

2 Likes