"What If?" by Randall "xkcd" Munroe is available on Kindle Unlimited

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/23/what-if-by-randall-xkcd.html

1 Like

What if … everyone stayed at home for three months?

4 Likes

I have the physical copy of this book and highly recommend it, in any form on any medium.

5 Likes

I find that they don’t have a lot of books I want to read on kindle unlimited.There are some but not a whole lot. If it was maybe $2 or $3 per month.

1 Like

Yeah, it really depends on what you like to read and what quality level you expect. I’ve read a lot of genre fiction books I have enjoyed but would never have tried were they not included in Kindle Unlimited. I read several books a week and I read what is available that sounds good rather than looking for specific books, so I’m saving money with KU. But for people looking for specific books by their current favorite authors, KU may not be the thing. The unexpected items like What If and the full Harry Potter series are the exceptions.

5 Likes

It seems weird to me that you would be giving Amazon free advertising. BoingBoing tends to be pro-worker rights, and Amazon is not.

If you are surprised it’s because BoingBoing doesn’t note its extensive use of Amazon Affiliate links very conspicuously. However, you can now find the disclaimer at the bottom of the home page:

Even Cory has used Amazon affiliate links on Boing Boing in spite of of his outspoken opposition to the mandatory DRM for Amazon’s Audible audiobooks (a principled stance that has cost him money when he kept from releasing his books on Audible, but one he can’t keep to entirely without going broke.)

Mmmh, so it is AMAZON FIRES 3 PEOPLE FOR ORGANIZING … while you are here why not buy some books at Amazon on the subject of labour relations. /s

1 Like

I’ve got two. English and German. :proudsmile:

And I keep wondering how Randall’s stick figures work on a Kindle. That might just be the right kind of illustration for the device. That said, the Thing Explainer would not work even on a slightly larger e-reader…

1 Like

Thing Explainer deserves to be a coffee table book, especially to show off “Up goer five”…

2 Likes

Yeah. I still haven’t a poster. But I have a nephew who should get this as a birthday present this year. Wants to fly a real spaceship one day. And is quite persistent in his wish - since nearly two years. And he’s only turning seven. That’s maybe about 15 years in adult years!

Sadly, sold out.

Do you think Randall would provide a high-res digital version, best a vector format (not on a blue background) for plotting? Would also be very much easier than ordering a print from the US (especially during a pandemic…). I’d be willing to pay for it.

This one most definitely would look crappy if I plot it poster-sized…

ETA: shit, I forgot my nephew doesn’t read english, yet. So I would need the translated version. Meh.

1 Like

Yeah there are some gems to be sure. I got it for a while because there was a bunch of books my kids wanted to read and it was cheaper to do it that way.

2 Likes

A lot of smut is available through kindle unlimited…

This. It’s basically methadone for book-junkies. Having said that, there’s some really good stuff on there. Walter Blaire’s Eternal Front series is fucking brilliant. Like, as good as Banks/McLeod/Reynolds-grade SF IMO. I’d have more KU recs for folks, but I can’t brain today, because hangover.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.