"What is a robot?" Pioneering roboticist Rodney Brooks answers with a sonnet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/19/what-is-a-robot-pioneerin.html

Robots:

I think that I shall never see
a bomb as dangerous as thee

A gun its projectiles may hurl
to end the life of some poor churl

A knife, a club, a sword, a spear
may spill the blood once held so dear

But you by far a greater threat
the enemy who’s not well met

For when weapons a person wields
he may relent if his foe yields

Within mans breast there may yet live
some remorse, pity, quarter to give

But your relentless logic dictates
actions taken to their end states

End states with unending quiet
I hope that I don’t live to see it

5 Likes

Aaaah! Make it stop, make it stop! I love the idea of replying as a sonnet, but this makes my ears bleed.

The number of syllables is the typical ten, divided into two iambic pentameters; only it is not ‘divided’ at all, and each line should come as a single arc. It’s “Shall I compare thee to a summers day?”, and not “shall I - compare Thee - to A - summers Day … tumpty-tum”. Sometimes, you can deliberately mess with this to stress a point - sonnets are for strong emotions - but this is often done towards the end, when there is some turn or ‘volta’ if we are being posh (look for “But…” - that is often where it happens").

Rules are for the guidance of wise men, and for the obedience of fools. You can ignore the conventions, or apply them lightly. But a sonnet either flies or it doesn’t.

Future takes over. Its just a few blinks in Time less. TO have the new age. I am curios how it will be at all. i also work only in virtual reality like my work, it will affect a lot of normal jobs for sure.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.