What is Barbiecore? Think pink. Lots and lots and lots of pink.

Originally published at: What is Barbiecore? Think pink. Lots and lots and lots of pink. | Boing Boing

2 Likes

You mean, aesthetic, right?

5 Likes

Obligatory:

6 Likes
3 Likes

Gross. And I mean that in the worst way possible.

I cannot wait for this movie. I think it might turn out to be so subversive that most people won’t even realize it’s subversive. Like Starship Troopers.

10 Likes

Pah, get of my lawn, here’s the real deal:

8 Likes

If House Beautiful (update your certs; dang!) has wind of this “trend”, then it’s pretty much over; like grandma discovering Facebook.

The Lisa Frank-esque and adjacent superfem insane color look has had a few minutes in the sun, but cynical me can believe the movie marketing peeps would try to fluff it as new.

6 Likes

I look fine in pink. Still.

9 Likes

Oh well

9 Likes

What’s the deal with Starship Troopers? To this day I still come across people who never got that it was satire.

6 Likes

I think it is impossible to show a dystopia without ending up with someone who thinks they would like living in it.

18 Likes

Some people read 1984 and empathise with Winston. Some people read 1984 and empathise with Julia.

And some people read 1984 and empathise with O’Brien.

14 Likes

I think part of the problem with that is that while the film was obviously satire, the book isn’t, and is taken 100% seriously by some of its fans, to the extent that I’ve heard of it being given out to USMC recruits.

5 Likes
3 Likes

“Would you like to know more?”

4 Likes

They’re in the same section of the Venn diagram as the folks that didn’t understand The Colbert Report was satire.

The thing that troubles me most of course is… if you can’t recognize satire of the propaganda in your society, you probably can’t recognize the propaganda itself. :cry:

11 Likes

I wonder if we’ll get another Barbie themed song out of this movie? “Barbie Girl” is the only one I know of.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.