What is dubnium and why is it interesting?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/20/what-is-dubnium-and-why-is-it.html

8 Likes

It is the fundamental particle of reggae.

22 Likes

It’s Unnilpentium to me and it always will be. Stop renaming things for no reason.

4 Likes

Good overview of the Transfermium Wars (spat, really).

IUPAC kind of took a little bit of the fun out of element naming with their decision in 2002. Elements are supposed to be as consistent as possible between languages on the one hand (meaning what, exactly?), but are all supposed to end in “ium” (a Latin suffix that has no meaning outside languages that have Romance influences) on the other hand.

2 Likes

I find this process highly doubtful.

1 Like

FTFY

/9chars

6 Likes

It’s what gives dubstep it’s growl.

6 Likes

Un… nil… fivium?

1 Like

Not since that Intel® sponsorship fell through.

11 Likes

https://www.supportrix.com/kb/how-to-turn-on-spatial-sound-effect-in-windows-10/

just an idea :slight_smile:

here’s cooking it…

2 Likes

I love this guy, but I think he gets an important part wrong in this video. That Db behaves more like Nb than it does Ta shows the Periodic Table breaking down. The periods of the table are the rows, not the columns (the columns are “groups.”) For the kinds of reactions they are looking at, as you move from period-to-period down a group you expect things to change in a consistent way—e.g., the atom sticks to glass more and more as you get heavier and heavier . But once you get superheavy, around Z=105 like this, those relativistic speeds of the innermost electron shells make them experience Loretz contractions and effectively “shrink” to a smaller size around the nucleus. This shields the protons from the chemically active orbitals (here, d orbitals), making them “larger” and thus more like the Nb d-orbitals than the Ta d-orbitals.

The periodicity actually switches: Va sticks less than Nb sticks less then Ta sticks MORE than Db.

10 Likes

Maybe I have really bad ears, but I thought the nearly inaudible sound effects accompanying the animation were amusing.

1 Like

Indubitably!

1 Like

And, all together now:

7 Likes

When did you ever have a chance hold up your tie to underline a point? I really need to step up my tie game.

2 Likes

Dubnium be good to me

2 Likes
1 Like

It’s not Intel’s fault that IUPAC wouldn’t accept calling it i5ium

1 Like

I have that song on a Spotify list but never knew the video was in Seattle.

1 Like