In the new Periodic Table, some elements named for Japan, Moscow, Tennessee

[Read the post]

3 Likes

It’s nice to have something positive associated with Tennessee for a change.

10 Likes

I knew they couldn’t do Nipponium due to IUPAC rules, but I’m glad they got around it. I’m still upset that there isn’t an element with the symbol No, however.

6 Likes

9 Likes

I recently had to make an HTML version of the periodic table for work with hyperlinks to element videos.

I was lamenting to coworkers about the stupidly unoriginal Latin and Greek-Latin names like Ununtrium (“one one three” in Latin) and Ununpentium (2x Latin ones and then a Greek five). They mentioned, “oh, those elements have been discovered, so the names should change.”

I’m not sure Tennessine is any better than Ununseptium though.

3 Likes

Yeah, but come on, “Og”. That’s fabulous.

3 Likes

We can pretend it’s named after Nanny Ogg.

4 Likes

You forgot to mention Inobtrusium.

1 Like

Watch it yankee…

2 Likes

Tennessine fits nicely under the other halogens with a similar naming convention (fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, astatine, tennessine).

This native Tennessean with a degree in chemistry from Vanderbilt approves!

7 Likes

You’re a stickler for details, and I love you for that. Indeed.

1 Like

Oh, and fastidium. Some think it’s basically the same as insoucium. As if.

1 Like

Can someone update the song?

4 Likes

Don’t think it’s the Whiskey talkin, cause it’s the Slivovitz talkin really.

Dog bless me.

1 Like

Didn’t Hendrix do a better version?

2 Likes

I’m still upset that there isn’t an element with the symbol No, however.

I have good news for you!

6 Likes

Trivia: the Swedish village of Ytterby has four elements named after it, yttrium, erbium, terbium, and ytterbium.

8 Likes

totally.

I think the Tennessee flag is the coolest one, or among the few cool ones in the union, anyway. The stars represent East, Middle, and West Tennessee, which are geologically distinct and fairly culturally distinct as well.

1 Like

What? No!

3 Likes

Oh shit… I guess that shows which parts of Periodic Table I never use. I remember reading once about cultures that use all the parts of the Table, letting nothing go to waste.

6 Likes