In the new Periodic Table, some elements named for Japan, Moscow, Tennessee

Are you suggesting that naming something tennesine fits with:
Something that flows - fluorine - OK, big river there.
Yellow colour - chlorine
A bad smell - bromine
Violet colour - iodine
Unstable - astatine

An unstable, stinking landscape in shades of green and violet, with a big river. Is this a coded reference to the Oak Ridge plant with its green tanks of uranium compounds, or is it a more general criticism of Tennessee?

And, like most of Sweden, hardly anybody has ever seen them and they are very hard to tell apart. [sorry].

ā€¦

Also, if the element named after Japan is Nihonium, shouldnā€™t the one named for Moscow (Moskva) be named Moskvytchium?

Will Chinese netizens be outraged by nihonium?

Hey, I was born here, I grew up here, and dagblamitā€¦

1 Like

I still miss unununium, (element 111) which I used to sing to the tune of sussudioā€¦ https://www.google.com/#q=sussudio

2 Likes

?

Iā€™m looking forward to seeing that translated to other languagesā€¦

German: Fluor, Chlor, Brom, Jod, Astat, ā€¦ ā€œTennessā€?
French: Fluor, Chlore, Brome, Iode, Astate, ā€¦ ā€œTennesseā€?

ā€œNo, I did not forget an ā€˜eā€™, I was talking about the element!ā€

(OK, my actual bet for the German version is Tennessin, which doesnā€™t fit in any naming convention, but sounds sciency enough).

Someone should have warned you about the consequences of consuming nontrivial amounts of abstrusium.

The Chinese get to make up a new Chinese character for the new element anyway. Unicode will be updated, and computers on the other end of the world will have their fonts updated because of it.
So they basically get to choose whether to follow the Japan-based naming or not, I guess.

1 Like

A long time ago, a Japanese researcher thought he discovered a new element which turned out to be a mix of known elements. However, since he submitted ā€œNipponiumā€ for consideration (unless the rules have changed recently) it can never be resubmitted. Iā€™m on my phone, so I canā€™t double check this right now, but Iā€™ll look again later.

1 Like

It could have been seven! (thanks for making me look that up, interestingā€¦)

In addition, three other lanthanides, holmium (Ho, named after Stockholm), thulium (Tm, named after Thule, a mythic analog of Scandinavia), and gadolinium (Gd, after the chemist Johan Gadolin) can trace their discovery to the same quarry.

Although I think that with the four it looks like they had practically done a combinatorially exhaustive list of the all the names than can be made from Ytterby.

1 Like

Ahem.

2 Likes

I was thinking of some of the more recent news but thank you for that reminder of some of the good things that have come out this state. And letā€™s not forgetā€¦

I had an uncle who preferred the whiskey made by Mr. Danielā€™s nephew in the post-Prohibition era.

And alsoā€¦

1 Like

Jack Daniels is literally the worst whiskey I have ever put down my throat. I cannot think of a worse one. Iā€™ll happily down Rebel Yell and Ancient Age and Evan Williams but JD is beyond the pale. My hypothesis is that it was created as an anti-alcoholism tonic.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.