What is Granfer Tom saying?

Same for me. I find it kind of amusing that TMZ comes up as a black page for me. Nothing at all, just black. Seems fitting really.

1 Like

I do wonder how much of the ability to understand different accents can be learned. I used to work with a team that had members from the US, India, and Brazil. Everyone spoke English during our meetings/conference calls, but one woman who worked with us kept complaining she couldn’t understand anyone except me. She lived in AZ, so we had different US accents, but the rest of us could understand each other and that ability improved over time. She never got better at it.

1 Like

I think some people have more of an ear for it than others. My wife can sometimes have a real difficult time understanding even the more clear (at least to me) accents from the UK.

4 Likes

“GranFERRRRRRRRRR!!!” Gawd, that bit killed me. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

5 Likes

For the 1st 10 seconds or so, Granfer was speaking utter gibberish to me, but once my brain picked out the rhythm and timing (so I could distinguish individual words) it suddenly became no problem at all.

What struck me most about these vids, tho, is how very much I would enjoy meeting both of them =).

5 Likes

I think it could be regional, too, in the US. Ears tuned for southern accents seem to be able to handle rural UK accents better, at least in my experience.

2 Likes

West Country accent (From “Yacky Dar, Moy Bewty”)
Lodda jabs in Brisl (There are a lot of jobs in Bristol)
Lodda cows in Dem. ( There are a lot of cows in Devon)
Lodda stownes in Cornall. (There are a lot of stones in Cornwall).

2 Likes

I also found them utterly charming.

1 Like

It’s usually spelled ‘Brizzle’ :wink:
And if you think this farmer has an interesting accent, you need to hear the St Paul’s accent, which is a mixture of broad West Country and Jamaican patois. Mind you, it’s mostly only the oldsters that talk like that, the youth all talk like they’re from ‘Laandahn’ these days. Bloody kids.

4 Likes

I never see Tiktok posts either. I opened it in Chrome. I hadn’t realised just how much advertising there is now either.

2 Likes

I never got a chance to hear what Granfer Tom was saying. TikTok served it up in tiny slices, separated by long delays.

1 Like

My grandmother (Southwest Louisiana, US) sat next to my husband’s aunt (Black Country, England), at dinner before our wedding, and somehow had a lovely conversation about their love of recently deceased dogs and John McEnroe. Each was completely unintelligible to the rest of the family on the other side. It was amazing, but sadly before smart phones.

3 Likes

I can’t find a good video of grandma’s accent, but I will never tire of sharing this documentary with the most solid Black Country accents imaginable.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.