What is the indigenous language of Mexico?

Originally published at: What is the indigenous language of Mexico? | Boing Boing

6 Likes

The combo of English & Spainish is very odd, I see evidence of it in San Diego just about everywhere I go.

7 Likes

I’m making the /tl/ sound, and my cats are very intrigued.

10 Likes

the force awakens GIF by Star Wars

10 Likes

OK but an indigenous language.

10 Likes

Did not watch the video (auditory processing dysfunction). Did it conclude with the accurate information that there were multiple indigenous languages, so the question itself is wrong?

12 Likes

He actually leads with that info (68 recognized languages of which 63 are indigenous) and goes on to discuss the four dialectic groups of Nahuatl. It’s an incredibly thorough examination pretty free of the usual YouTube hyperbole and lack of nuance.

12 Likes

Huichol.

1 Like

Listening to African immigrants speak French in New York City as you browse for knock-off handbags seems cool until you remember the barbaric origins of how their ancestors learned the language.

The problem is where you want to stop. Africans speaking French may not be “cool”, but why do French speak a language obviously descended from Latin? Is that “cool”? They were originally a Celtic people speaking a language related to Welsh (and some in Bretagne still do). It was Roman colonialism that spread Latin-based languages. And going deeper, Indo-European languages aren’t native to Western Europe. There were humans in Western Europe before the Indo-European migration/colonization, and some still exist (the Basques, for example).

3 Likes

Was?

10 Likes

It got upgraded to Gentrification.

12 Likes

Colonization got gentrified?

5 Likes

All hail the (white hipster) Columbusers!

And let’s not forget “protectorates.”

5 Likes

More the kind of subtle move in and take over slowly vibe rather than move in and murder everyone but seeing as the locals usually end up losing out…

:woman_shrugging:t3:

6 Likes

A “kinder, gentler” colonization… :expressionless:

2 Likes

Colonization - now with better PR!!

10 Likes

happy kat dennings GIF

3 Likes

And PBR too!

3 Likes

NativLang has some great videos about the original languages of Mezo America and their history.

3 Likes

Of course CNN can’t spell “cachet”

1 Like