What is the most interesting scientific news? Very, VERY smart people respond

[Read the post]

1 Like

Well, there goes a good bit of my free time for the day.

Lots of these are REALLY good!

1 Like

where does that gif come from?

“Science is the only news,” writes scientist.

5 Likes

Well, the obvious place to start was that little paper where scientists used CRISPR technology to show that Homo naledi buried their dead next to coursing rivers on Mars. . —Robert Sapolsky

1 Like

Is it not this Stewart Brand?

Which reminds me, the (previously unknown to me) TV series of “How buildings learn” was posted up here last year. Must watch.

This Edge thing is great. Must read. Just not tonight…

1 Like

all that brainpower and they couldn’t design a page that was easy to read, or consider alphabetizing them.

3 Likes

Organize by category fer chrissake.

1 Like

Might I suggest:
Real Science.
Non Physics related hard science.
Squishy science.
Not really science.

3 Likes

Sub-categorize those and you’ve got a winner.

“The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable.” ~ Ezra Solomon

“The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich August von Hayek

These days I’d be more inclined to put economics in the information technology bin since it’s becoming inextricably intertwined with artificial intelligence research. That said, there is a science of technology which, broadly speaking, endeavors to understand the complexities and consequences of technological artifacts, which is why I don’t altogether buy into the dismissal of technology as real news. There’s this well-worn trope in science fiction of achieving breakthroughs in knowledge by studying alien artifacts. The trope turned out to be surprisingly accurate in one regard, yet the artifacts we only begin to understand are the more bizarre technologies of our own civilization.

2 Likes

writes online cynic, online.

I think it’s turtles all the way down from here. :wink:

3 Likes

Verily, at a glance many of these appear to be precisely the sort of “human interest stuff is the same old he-said-she-said” and “politics and economics the same sorry cyclic dramas” riled against in the introduction.

1 Like

Only if we call that statistical analysis, predictive analysis, and machine learning. Those are things that overlap a ton of fields and they’re not particularly attached to economics.

Behavioral economics, rational choice theory, and all of that though… that’s economics specific and super-soft. Maybe not astrology soft, but definitely squishy as all get out.

3 Likes

i fail to see how that improves the readability of the layout, or helps one find a particular author by their last name, but ok.

True, but they’re fun!

1 Like

I don’t know any author’s names, so that wouldn’t help me much. I’d prefer to read articles based on the sciences I’m most interested in.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.