What is the most shameful line of work?

Anti-environment, anti-consumer lobbyists

7 Likes

Episode 1 Slow Clap GIF by One Chicago

7 Likes

Plumbing.

It’s all about sweeping everyone’s shit under the rug.

2 Likes

Typically not medicine; though opportunities to excel exist.

1 Like

This attitude contributes to making hard to build affordable housing…just fyi

3 Likes

I would expand that to right wing [pretty much any occupation goes here].

2 Likes

Anyone contributing to systems of mass incarceration or other forms of oppression

Any job that exploits people’s desire to feed and house themselves for selfish personal gain. As in all things it is the people with power to shape a system not the people stuck in it that deserve the attention (the assholes denying insurance claims are not nearly as shameful as those that are paying them to do so)

Amoral capitalists that view their own financial bottom line as all that matters with means to push companies to value that over either human beings or the world we inhabit
(it’s a depressingly long list)

7 Likes

Anyone who traffics and profits from a basic human need needs to check themselves.

Food, clothes and shelter are basic human rights.

If you profit from those, you might be scum.

2 Likes

Timeshare salesman.

Tech support scammer (and all the variations).

Cryptocurrency marketer.

Online gambling spokesperson.

4 Likes

When I find myself in a crappy situation without the tools and knowledge find my way out, the plumber is my hero. I appreciate you, vrplumber.

6 Likes

Union busting consultant must be high up there

7 Likes

I was just about to respond to this topic with “honor labor”. +1

4 Likes

Pharmaceutical companies, mostly whomever is making the choice to overprice drugs or push through drugs that are too dangerous to put on the market (looking at you opioids)

5 Likes

Factory manager or supervisor in a factory that employs children, especially if involving dangerous work.

5 Likes

Mom once tried calling her cousin who worked for the insurance company she was then using, to get a problem straightened out. They had a pleasant enough chat at first, but when they got down to business, her cousin fed her the exact same line word-for-word she’d got from the so-called customer service reps. She flatly refused to help. It was bad enough she wouldn’t help, but she wouldn’t even help her own cousin?! WTF

A friend of mine is a stockbroker who only handles accounts of $1M or more. She is absolutely wonderful, an excellent horsewoman, and has always spoken her mind - including to other stockbrokers. I’ve heard her shout down the phone at idiots who needed to hear exactly what she was yelling, and at that volume. She is fantastic company: really bright, really funny, weird, and has a firm grasp on reality. Love her to ahem bits.

Another friend has an economics degree, and for a time, he worked for the same company she did. He’s also bright AF, hysterically funny, weird, and one of our favorite people. He and another old friend assembled the couch upon whom I am currently ensconced, and he’s done a lot to help us out with home repairs.

Each is also the kind of friend who will save you from a burning building.

I realize, however, they are most likely the exceptions who prove the rule. tophat-biggrin tophat-cool beer

8 Likes

I got an email last year from a recruiter offering an IT job with company that was ‘a global leader in cyber-surveillance’, and that the job would involve travel to implement these systems in Saudi Arabia and Thailand.
Yeah, nah. It pissed me off to the point that I actually replied to the recruiter asking them what they thought they were trying to advertise.

In a different vein, a member of my family is an offshore surveyor, so most of their work has been for the oil and gas industry, picking the routes for underwater pipes. These days though, a lot of their contracts are using the exact same skills to pick the routes for cabling to offshore wind farms.

7 Likes

Exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of above. It’s not the line of work itself, it’s what it gets put to use for in a given job.
An acquaintance had, to them, a dream job out of college. He got paid to hike around the forests and mountains of New England for 2 weeks at a time. But along the way he was geo-tagging freshwater spring locations. Employer: Nestle. So it was a shit job that led to misleading and coercive land grabs to privatize fresh spring water, but as a line of work, it could also be used for good. :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

Whatever “line” of “work” Stephen Miller is in, that’s gotta be the one.

7 Likes

How far down should ‘scalper’ be on the list?

4 Likes

Not sure, but should scalper be above or below someone who works at Ticketmaster? :thinking:

8 Likes