What is the purpose of this ridiculously narrow fence?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/01/what-is-the-purpose-of-this-ri.html

2 Likes

Well there’s the base of a hinge on the right. I’m guessing that at one time there was a pair of gates here, the left side for a car and the right for the (now overgrown) walkway. My further assumption is that the previous owners had a dog, thus the gate blocking the driveway. (because those are a pain)

2 Likes

It’s really the best fence for keeping the skinny Mexicans out of the US, believe me. /Trump

47 Likes

Or possibly that’s as much wall as the Mexicans are willing to pay for. Or, considering Trump’s repeated non-delivery on promises as a businessman, all the wall that we’re likely to get.

31 Likes

Clearly it’s blocking the interdimensonal portal to Flatland.

48 Likes

This is an homage to tRump’s Mex/US wall, I like what it says too.

6 Likes

I would like to imagine that there is a similar one, or perhaps a long run of fence, on the other side of the paved area, behind the person taking the picture and the pair act as stanchions upon which a rope, cable, or arm attaches to keep out cars (or lock them in). The person just used fencing because they either had a surplus of fencing on hand, or they are a fencing contractor and it’s what they know.

My other guess is that this is a sample at a fencing supply company. right?Right?RIGHT?

5 Likes

The result of an insufficiently specific fixed-bit contract.

13 Likes

A spite fence, to go with your spite house.

25 Likes

If you really need to ask, you would never understand.

17 Likes

This piece is a statement about the futility of strong borders, and the nature of barriers being built physically or ideologically.

27 Likes

What he got after the contractor demanded payment up front

6 Likes

And a dambed good thing for it too! Remember last time… shivers

4 Likes

The fence is actually traveling at a significant fraction of the speed of light and has undergone Lorentz contraction. Yes.

Some kind of property line marker, I would expect.

Makes me think of this image:

48 Likes
  1. Practice fence for someone who is learning how to make them,

2. vestigial fence, this is all that’s left of a larger fence that was removed (or is planned),

3. half-assed property marker, to show neighbor where to stop mowing,

4. is this at the end of a driveway? Maybe they used leftover fence materials for a mailbox post.

(Need more info, photos of surrounding locale.)

10 Likes

It’s what you get after giving your fence too many diet supplements. It’s a Fen-Phen Fence.

15 Likes

49 Likes

To mark a property line?

7 Likes

I’ll bet it involves keeping kaiju out.

5 Likes

Does anybody got a dime?

7 Likes