What is the tastiest apple?

Originally published at: What is the tastiest apple? | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I have a fuji tree, I like them so much.

13 Likes

Was this supposed to have a link to, um, Thrillest?

I made a point of trying out a bunch of different apple varieties a while ago and found that Honeycrisp utterly failed to live up to its advertising. I am surprised to see Golden Delicious ranked so low. And I thought Granny Smiths were good for baking and not much else?

11 Likes

I agree with some of her ratings, never had a braeburn though.

But she loses points for raving about Billy Joel’s “River of Dreams” as “a surprising and underrated delight.”

(ehh, maybe I’ll give it another chance . . . someday.)

2 Likes

The answer is obviously red delicious

/s

6 Likes

I’ve had honeycrisp that were beyond spectacular… and many that were bland and mushy. I don’t know what the difference is. Maybe it was the particular tree, region, or if they came from the back of the warehouse. But like a gambler who once won the jackpot, I always go back to honeycrisp.

8 Likes

(didn’t we just do this? [shrug]) Anyway, the answer is: Cosmic Crisp (WA38 hybrid of Honeycrisp and Enterprise) …or Honeycrisp. sine-die.

3 Likes

The list is wrong. Opal is the best apple.

1 Like

I’m curious to know how often apple varieties are mislabeled, either intentionally or not, at markets. I personally only could distinguish a few types by sight. If someone gave me a fairly common apple and told me it was a super-delicious rare variety, I’d probably believe them and walk away with the wrong impression on that apple variety for life.

This is a real issue for fish, where multiple studies have shown that restaurants routinely serve up fish that’s a different, cheaper species than what the menu says.

4 Likes

I find that honeycrisp vary a lot as well.

My go-to decider on whether I buy them or not is their size. The ones that are typical apple size are always just OK… but occasionally I see some that are the size of basketballs, and those ones are always, ALWAYS amazing.

4 Likes

Out of all the varieties mentioned, only Granny Smith and Jonagold are available in Lithuania.
On the other hand we have a few varieties of apple grown locally that are not available further away. Then again those apples suck. They look and taste pretty much like crab apples.
Their popularity is undying tho, mostly for patriotic reason.

I digress, my favorite apple variety is Red Chief. It’s not grown locally and thus quite expensive tho.

10 Likes

Unless you can taste it recently picked you will never know.

6 Likes

Honeycrisps also appear to rot really fast from the blossom end. If I see or smell anything off, cutting out the bad portion does nothing. The whole apple will be off. I also won’t buy any that have those annoying stickers, if they’re over the blossom end, they hide unpleasant surprises.

1 Like

Ashmead’s Kernel, followed by almost anything heirloom.

Rather than this list, find your nearest orchard that specializes in heirloom apple varieties and try everything.

3 Likes

how hard would it have been to include a link to the story?

the list is incomplete. COSMIC CRISP is #1.

1 Like

Apple Brandy.

6 Likes

My favorite is the Cortland, not because it’s so great but because it was my Grandfather’s favorite.

3 Likes

There’s some small apples on a tree just down the road from me, grab one occasionally when walking past, not perfect, but free makes up for a few flaws…

3 Likes

@frauenfelder Why no actual link to Thrillist?

And as for the list, no Cox’s Orange Pippin tells me this was a very partial list, indeed.

4 Likes

I thought so too, but we did just do this…

2 Likes